Can buyers scam sellers?

Bodeka
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, im selling an expensive electrical item on gumtree. The buyer has sent me money via PayPal and I'm going to send the item. My friend previously sold an item on ebay which was functional but the seller later sent it back due to water damage, when my sister received it, it was functional.

The item I'm selling is fully functional, so what systems are in place if a buyer tries to scam me? e.g. if they break the item and blame me for it. cheers.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Of course buyers can scam sellers.  That's why it is vitally important that you really understand the extent and limitations of buyer AND seller protection.

PayPal cannot protect you from bad seller judgement.

There are many buyers who are very smart, savvy, and knowledgable about PayPal.  They know very well how to take advantage of unsuspecting PayPal sellers who lack knowlege and experience with PayPal.

Do some research on gumtree and you'll find a lot of scammers.

Login to Me Too

Bodeka
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your replies, ill follow your suggestions. It's frustrating hearing t the answers though, I guess it comes with the territory.
Login to Me Too

pmill105
Contributor
Contributor

Buyers scam sellers all the time, and as unfortunate as it is, PayPal almost always sides with the buyer. They have a guilty until proven innocent policy, however, I bet if you can verify it's working before you ship it out, and if the seller says it's broken, you can use shipping insurance, refund the buyer, and get the money from the insurance as well. The previous answer gave you a good link, gumtree, to make you aware of the many ways buyers scam sellers. If you make yourself aware you should be able to avoid at least some of the ways they scam. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

the saying is dont sell anything you cant afford to lose-

buyer can scam in many ways-

claim it is an empty box or a box of rocks

remove the part he wants and return the rest

use it as rental and claim it does not work

Insurer does not always pay,USPS can tell you did not pack according to their guideline,private carrier like Fed Exp justoffer indenmity ,not insurance,third party insurer would ask to see the item or just pay for repair only.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.