Can anything happen to money I get paid on Paypal?

Toller
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling a $3,000 boat to someone and getting paid by Paypal.  It is sold "as it"; once he picks it up I never want to hear about it again.

Can he, under any circumstances, file any sort of complaint (well, outside of small claims court of course) with Paypal to try to get his money back?

Also...  I read on Venmo's website that they should not be used for a transaction like this; it is only for payments between people who trust each other.  that is not true with Paypal is it?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Kenlar
Contributor
Contributor
Seller protection does not cover collections. Cash on collection is all I can recommend.

If a buyer opened a claim, PayPal would need proof of shipment "tracking" u would not have.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Absolutely can.

He drives off with the boat and stops a few minutes later, uses comptuer or smartphone and files a dispute for item not received.  PayPal asks you to provide a tracking number to prove delivery.  You fail to do so.  Buyer gets a refund.  You have no money and have no boat.

If buyer has already paid, then refund all and let buyer know that you will only accept CASH at pickup.  Then you can relax and enjoy yourself when buyer drives away with boat.

Login to Me Too

Toller
Contributor
Contributor

Having him sign a receipt that he received it isn't adequate?!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Only if it includes online tracking to show delivery of the item.

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Cash or bank-issued cashier's check ONLY for local pickup.

NEVER use PayPal for local pickup (unless you personally know and trust the buyer).

Don't mind Renee, she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Login to Me Too

Renee3506
Contributor
Contributor
Haha, like you do! I'm speaking from experience that happened to me today.
Login to Me Too

Renee3506
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal doesn't give a crap about the sellers. The guy that purchased your boat CAN make a claim against you and PayPal will deiced with the buyer without having any facts.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.