Buyer won't return a book after a replacement was sent

hennesda
Contributor
Contributor

I accidentally sent a buyer the wrong book, but then sent the correct one 2 day shipping.  The buyer had agreed to send the original "wrong" book back and I would send them money through PayPal for shipping.  But once they got the replacement book I haven't heard back from them despite multiple emails from me and eBay.  They filed against me on eBay but that was closed (I think they were trying to get their money back too).  I know i was a dolt to send the correct book before getting the incorrect book, but I was trying to help out a student get their textbook in time.  You get hosed sometimes for doing the right thing.

My question is, does PayPal have some appeal process to go after them to either pay for the original book or send it back (they paid with PayPal)? eBay says that since the case is closed I can't go after them because sellers can't open cases.

I know I can probably go through my credit card company because I have plenty of email evidence from eBay that the buyer never returned the item but did get the correct book.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Going through your card issuer is your best and probably only option at this point as the case was closed.

Login to Me Too

hennesda
Contributor
Contributor

But the payment didn't go through my credit card, it was deposited to PayPal directly.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tricia

Hi @hennesda

I'm sorry to hear you haven't received your book back and the buyer isn't responding to your request to return the book. 

We always recommend requesting the item is returned before issuing a refund or shipping a new item. As the buyer filed a claim with eBay, you'd have to work with eBay to see what options you have. I understand that you've already contacted eBay about the issue, I recommend contacting again asking if they have an appeal process. We do not have a process for a merchant to file a claim against a buyer.You can always try sending the buyer a money request or an invoice to pay for the item. 

I hope you're able to work this out with the buyer. 

I hope this information helps!

Thanks, 
PayPal_Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.