Buyer wanting to use paypal for partial payment on automobile

AScott24
Contributor
Contributor

Hey everyone.  I use and love paypal so I recommended it to my friend's father for selling things.  He has listed a car online for sale and a buyer has called him about it.  They have talked on the phone (not just text) and the buyer wants to send $10,000 via paypal and then send a money order for the remaining $4k.  He is buying the car sight unseen and wanting it shipped.  While I think it sounds like classic scam, he just asked me about after the $10,000 is sent to him, can the buyer do anything to get that money back after the title has been signed and the car is delivered?  That is more what he is worried about, sending the car and then the $10,000 getting reversed somehow.  I have my thoughts, but curious if there are smarter answers.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your friend's father really need to understand PayPal seller protection policies.

THERE IS NO SELLER PROTECTION FOR AUTOMOBILES.

There is no seller protetion for local pickups.

So, the seller will loose the Paypal money.

Money order may also be counterfeit.

ONLY ACCEPT CASH FOR VEHICLE SALES.

There are also a lot of title transfer issues and libility that needs to be considered.

Login to Me Too

AScott24
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for that under the User Agreement.  What I am actually finding in the user agreement is that there is no Buyer protection for automobiles.  So if it the sell is related to a vehicle, the buyer has no protection either, correct?

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program

Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

• Real estate, including residential property.
  • Financial products or investments of any kind.
  • Businesses (when you buy or invest in a business).
  • Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats.
  • Significantly Not As Described claims for custom-made items.
  • Donations including payments on crowdfunding platforms.
  • Items prohibited by the PayPal 
  • For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing.
  • Anything purchased from, or an amount paid to, a government agency.
  • Stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards.
  • Gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize.
  • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. 
  • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e. not sent using your PayPal account).
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

How can a sale be related to a vehicle but not for a vehicle?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

there is no buyer protection if he files item not as described,like the car is a lemon.

But there is buyer protection for item not received and thats what he will file  to get his 10k back,as you cannot provide online viewable tracking from a commercial carrier.

and I doubt that 4k money order or check is any good.

go to ebay seller forum/cars and auto and ask,there are plenty of sellers  and buyers there

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

robot tackles most disputes first and human tackles the appeal.

robot would expect tracking number to be confirmed delivered in order for the seller to win item not received dispute,for item not as described,depend on what he is looking at,it would ask the buyer to return the item for full refund.

with tracking of course.

paypal is not a payment method for vehicles,some sellers would accept a down payment via paypal and then expect FULL  amount upon pickup and REFUND PAYPAL DESPOSIT.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

How can a sale be related to a vehicle but not for a vehicle?

there are sellers who sell auto parts and components and seats and rubber mat and memorabilia like keychain,manuals,license plates,advertising pages from old magazines

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The OP was not selling parts, but an automobile so I questioned how THAT sale could be related to auto parts.  The OP needs to explain what was meant by the question as it was not clear.

My guess is that the OP considered the partial payment to be related to the sale but not really as the sale as the balance was the real sale trying to imply the partial payment was a related payment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.