Buyer/seller protection?

Todd8
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a bike from a seller, paid the PayPal fees and when I received the package it was damaged by ups.  Ups claims seller didn't pack correctly which I disagree with since he used packaging from a major bike manufacturer.  PayPals only resolution is for me to return to seller which leaves him with a damaged bike.  If I keep it I paid too much for a beat up bike.  Is there any protection from PayPal for this? I can't find anyway to communicate directly with PayPal via phone or email.  

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Todd8

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute if you can't resolve things with the seller ie part refund then ALL paypal can do is ask you to return the item for a full refund (they don't deal in part refunds etc).

Ways to contact customer services.
>>

1. You can click on help / contact and use the email option in the blue band at the top of the page.
2. You can click on help / contact and use the phone option in the blue band top of the page.
3. You can send them a p.m via their Facebook page @ www.facebook.com/PayPal
4. You can send them a p.m via their Twitter page @ AskPayPal for Twitter
5. You can use the message centre in your paypal account.
6. You can ask a question on here (answers from community members normally).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Todd8
Contributor
Contributor

Every time I click the phone or email option it just circles me back to the help page without giving an option to contact them. I don't do social media so prefer not to go that route. 

why should the seller be responsible to give me a partial refund? He didn't do anything wrong and neither did I. PayPal is the one offering protection when using their services.  A partial refund paid by PayPal would be the most fair thing since we paid for their service and benefits that come with it, like buying insurance.  

Thanks for your response 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Todd8

Why should paypal pay you money?

They didn't pack your item and they didn't deliver it to you damaged.

The problem is either the seller not packing it properly or the courier damaging it on the way, neither of that is paypals problem.

If paypal covered you for that then everyone could say an item was damaged on arrival to get paypal to pay them some money.

If the item arrives damaged then the seller is responsible in refunding you and then making a claim against the courier.

Thats the way every other seller including myself do it.

As for not being able to phone paypal then try another browser only i have just tried it and got straight through to the phone number.

But to be fair they are not going to tell you that they will pay you money, they will tell you to open a dispute and then they will tell you to return the item back to the seller for a refund.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.