Buyer loses 2 claims; files chargeback

mirona
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I have been on a months-long journey through **bleep** with one buyer. Let's break it down first.

- I made the buyer a custom item through Etsy.com, shipped the item, and it arrived damaged.

- After talking with the buyer and asking them to return the item for a refund, they mentioned that they gave the item away to another person.

- The buyer continued to ask for a refund and when I refused they filed their first claim with PayPal.

- I presented evidence to PayPal and the claim was settled in my favor.

- The buyer then opened another claim for a separate PayPal charge that was not relevant to this item, but to a second custom item that they ordered.

- I presented evidence and I also won this claim.

- The buyer then appealed the first claim... and lost.

At this point, I believed that I was finished with this buyer and that the claims processes had run their course. Now I open my PayPal account several weeks later and see that the negative balance is back on my account. I open the resolution center and notice that there is now a chargeback claim against me. I have not checked my PayPal since paying my Etsy.com fees near the beginning of this month and didn't notice this chargeback claim. Apparently, I did not submit anything in time and now this chargeback is under review by PayPal. I went into the resolution centre and resubmitted the evidence that I had to support my side in the last two claims.

Is there anything I can do at this point? How many of these things do I have to go through before I can get my PayPal account back?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Not much you can do for a chargeback unless PayPal specifically requests information.  The chargeback is between PayPal and the credit card processing company, not with the seller.

This is important to understand when dealing with a buyer.  It is so important to reach a negotiated settlement with buyer BEFORE a dispute.  As the dispute goes on the buyer gets angry and gets more determined, finally, exasperated, goes for a chargeback and then seller loses all and gets a $20 chargeback fee.

When a buyer complains, first recognize that there will be a business loss, so plan accordingly with negotiations.

If you met ALL of PayPal requirements for seller protection you could contact PayPal support.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if you have insured  the first custom order,then file claim with the insurer.

dispute is filed with Paypal,but chargeback is filed with her cc issuer.

if you lose both cases,then the chargeback fee is 2 x $20.

Login to Me Too

Massguy
Contributor
Contributor

I guarantee you will lose the chargeback case. Paypal has no choice but to do whatever bank tells them . Banks charges Paypal $100+  to do a chargeback and have no incentive to do anything but find for the buyer because they make tons of money doing so. End of story. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.