Buyer cancelled payment after receiving item from EBAY

Mike1211
Contributor
Contributor

I put up a PS2 on EBAY and it got sold in a short space of time. I recieved the email from EBAY saying it was sold so i clicked the link, paid for the postage through EBAY and sent the item the next day with first class delivery (28th July). now earlier today, i recieved an email from paypal saying the buyer has cancelled the payment. How does this happen? What can I do about it now? How is he able to cancel a payment when an order has been shipped through the ebay service? 

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I am seeing more these days that the buyer cancelled a payment?

How the **bleep** can he cancel a payment he sent?

can someone ask Paypal ?

-unless it is sent to an invalid address and it is unclaimed?

Login to Me Too

salars412
Contributor
Contributor
Did anyone get their money back? The same thing happened to me, the buyer cancelled the payment 10 days after the item was sold and shipped. What is the right way to approach Ebay or PayPal on getting the funds back?
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

hOW DID he cancel the payment?

did he open a dispute like unauthorised transaction?

It seems to be rather popular these days,there must be a website where all the scammers share information on how t o scam.

Login to Me Too

usereuseaffair
Contributor
Contributor

I think they use ebay resolution center to scam the sellers.First the  buyer filled the claim through ebay about slow shipping.He knew it was fright shipping and it would take 7-10 days.When he received the item on the 9th day ,he filed the item as not as described.Claims that I told him wrong information.The fact is that I told him few times that I don't know exact information,and gave him the link for manufacturer web site.The serial number was on the picture.Now he claims that serial # shows that the part doesn't work for his mower.He never told me what his mower kind was .Pay pal is holding his money,in meantime I've paid $330 for shipping. I've told him to return the item,but I will not pay for shipping.At least I hope.He had all the pictures ,and several messages from me answering all his questions.I've sent extra pictures,and was as helpful and thruthful about the item as I could. He is experienced buyer and seller on ebay ,and I just started selling.I think that's how they get this scam working.He get the part without paying shipping,he gets his money back,and I am over $1000 in the hole as of now. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@usereuseaffair wrote:

I think they use ebay resolution center to scam the sellers.First the  buyer filled the claim through ebay about slow shipping.He knew it was fright shipping and it would take 7-10 days.When he received the item on the 9th day ,he filed the item as not as described.Claims that I told him wrong information.The fact is that I told him few times that I don't know exact information,and gave him the link for manufacturer web site.The serial number was on the picture.Now he claims that serial # shows that the part doesn't work for his mower.He never told me what his mower kind was .Pay pal is holding his money,in meantime I've paid $330 for shipping. I've told him to return the item,but I will not pay for shipping.At least I hope.He had all the pictures ,and several messages from me answering all his questions.I've sent extra pictures,and was as helpful and thruthful about the item as I could. He is experienced buyer and seller on ebay ,and I just started selling.I think that's how they get this scam working.He get the part without paying shipping,he gets his money back,and I am over $1000 in the hole as of now. 

if he has filed a dispute of item not as described on Paypal,and not Ebay,and win,he is expected to return the item on his dime,upload tracking,when trcking shows delivered to you,then he gets his money back.

so did he or did he not return the item?

Paypal usually withhold the money from your account the minute he opens the dispute,but he does not have it,it is still in your account but you cant touch it .

go to resolution center and look up that case/

(he can also file on ebay within 30 days and you pay return shipping),but not on both ebay and paypal

Login to Me Too

usereuseaffair
Contributor
Contributor

The case was solved  in my favor,both INA with eBay and INAD withPaypal, so I hope this will help some of you out. Make sure that the tracking number is showing ,both in eBay and Paypal. I could prove that the got the item on time with that,and also with copies of my messages to him about freight taking 7-10 days. Paypal account showed  tracking number uploaded on Nov.1st and he opening a case on Paypal on Nov 2,with Item not as described,when he didn't receive his item till 4th of Nov.It took me more than few emails and calls between eBay and Paypal to resolve this.It's frustrating but don't give up.Make sure you are always polite in your messages with buyer so when eBay checks them you have a proof that you did everything by the eBay policy.Keep copies of all your tracking info and corespondence because customer have 6 months to get refund from Paypal. Also,if the item is expensive, pay extra for signature delivery.It will save your sanity.Good luck.

Login to Me Too

usereuseaffair
Contributor
Contributor

@Whac-A-Mole wrote:

@usereuseaffair wrote:

if he has filed a dispute of item not as described on Paypal,and not Ebay,and win,he is expected to return the item on his dime,upload tracking,when trcking shows delivered to you,then he gets his money back.

Paypal usually withhold the money from your account the minute he opens the dispute,but he does not have it,it is still in your account but you cant touch it .

(he can also file on ebay within 30 days and you pay return shipping),but not on both ebay and paypal

That was a problem because he didn't want to return the item. Shipping back would cost over $300,and he already filled the case with Paypal.He probably thought he could keep the item and get his money back.

@Whac-A-Mole wrote:

@usereuseaffair wrote:

No,he didn't want to pay for return shipping. 

Login to Me Too

HeathCliff30
New Community Member
I have the same problem. He sent the money to me even if we don’t have a deal so i have no choice but to sell it to him. He send it thru paypal but was on hold . Then i sent the item via express post when i told him about it he blocked me on gumtree and i got a notif from paypal that he didn’t received my item when i just sent it 2hours agod and he is canceling his payment. I got a screenshot of everything from our conversation inculding the screenshot of the tracking number and the photo when sent the apple watch to him.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.