Buyer/Paypal cancelled payment multiple days after receiving shipment from ebay

SimplyJ3sse
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a Samsung Galaxy S5 on ebay in an auction that ended on 12/8/17. The buyer initiated payment through paypal. eBay told me to ship the item, but paypal told me not to. Going by eBay's request, I shipped the item via Priority Mail with signature confirmation. The item was delivered on 12/14/17 and signed for. As of today 12/19/17, paypal has cancelled the payment for this item LONG after it was delivered and I am basically scammed out of my phone and the $65. eBay told me that they could not help and to contact Paypal, which I will be doing, and to file a fraud case with the USPS. Is there anyone that can actually help me with this as I feel absolutely hopeless in this situation? Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SimplyJ3sse

If the payment was 'initiated' then it sounds as if the below may be the problem  >>

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then it would have been wrong on your finished auctions so come back for more advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SimplyJ3sse
Contributor
Contributor

Yes my paypal account email address is correct there and is working properly as I have sold multiple items in the last 4-5 weeks and received the payments with no issues. 

Login to Me Too

ferrari_17
Contributor
Contributor

I sold my note 3 phone and received an email from ebay that my item was sold. I received an email from paypal about pending transaction. I saw the amount was paid, so I shipped the item. After I shipped I contacted the buyer telling them the item was shipped. I did not get any reply from the buyer so I got suspicious. I got an emai from paypal today that the payment was canceled. so basically I sold my phone for free. This is ridiculous. I checked the tracking and USPS had delivered the packet. what are my options.

@SimplyJ3sse wrote:

I sold a Samsung Galaxy S5 on ebay in an auction that ended on 12/8/17. The buyer initiated payment through paypal. eBay told me to ship the item, but paypal told me not to. Going by eBay's request, I shipped the item via Priority Mail with signature confirmation. The item was delivered on 12/14/17 and signed for. As of today 12/19/17, paypal has cancelled the payment for this item LONG after it was delivered and I am basically scammed out of my phone and the $65. eBay told me that they could not help and to contact Paypal, which I will be doing, and to file a fraud case with the USPS. Is there anyone that can actually help me with this as I feel absolutely hopeless in this situation? Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

Ssawyer29
Contributor
Contributor

This exact same situation just happened to me. I sold a laptop on ebay, got a notification that my payment was received, so I sent the item and it was delivered. Now I got an email from Paypal saying my payment was cancelled. I tried to put in a dispute with paypal but it wouldn't let me because it said my payment was already received and told me to contact the buyer.. That's obviously not true and isn't helpful. How can I get my money???

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

wrote:

This exact same situation just happened to me. I sold a laptop on ebay, got a notification that my payment was received, so I sent the item and it was delivered. Now I got an email from Paypal saying my payment was cancelled. I tried to put in a dispute with paypal but it wouldn't let me because it said my payment was already received and told me to contact the buyer.. That's obviously not true and isn't helpful. How can I get my money???

There is nothing you can do,it is like someone wrote a rubber check and you took it,give him the merchandise and later found out the check bounced.

Paypal may have to do something with this instant bank transfer and speed up e check,instead of counting on if no fund in his bank account,it can always charge his credit card.

Paypal uses the slowest and free ACH transfer,thats why e check  takes days to clear.

Login to Me Too

SimplyJ3sse
Contributor
Contributor

Ssawyer29 and ferrari_17,

Here's what ended up happening to me. Ebay will claim it was not their fault and do nothing to help you in this situation, regardless of the fact that they told you to ship. If the payment is still "pending" in Paypal and the details say not to ship, don't. In my case, when I called Paypal, the representative gave me a one time credit for the money that I had lost. 

Login to Me Too

Ssawyer29
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, I thought the payment was pending due to the fact that I do not often sell on ebay, so I researched online and found that payments can be pending due to this for up to 21 days. This is absolutely ridiculous that PayPal and eBay can allow this to happen. I called a PayPal rep and they told me that my transaction isn't cover by their protections and to file a police report.. absolutely ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SimplyJ3sse

Just to check can you do this first >>

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then it would have been wrong on your finished auctions so come back for more advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is not a case of incorrect Paypal email address.

Here is one possible scenario and it is not new-

if a buyer has linked a credit card to his Paypal account,then used his bank account to pay for purchase.

Instead of e check which takes days to clear,Paypal will foot the $$ and make it an instant transfer.

so the seller received the payment and shipped the item.

BUt when Paypal try to debit his account via ACH,there is not enough fund or no fund or bank account closed.

Then Paypal tried to charge his credit card,but the card is either closed,expired,reported stolen or exceed spending limit.

So Paypal just takes the money back from the seller.

by then ,the seller has already shipped the goods.

Scammers are getting smarter and smarter,they just keep exploring new loopholes to scam,sending empty envelopes with tracking to places in your zipcode,buying goods which they can quickly turn into cash,returning empty box,refusing the package and then run to the post office/customs office to get the item after filing item not received,convincing seller to ship to a different address to void seller protection,buying something,remove a component so they can use it for their own item,preying on new seller with low feedback .

You should all report the buyer to Ebay so someday he will not be allowed to buy on Ebay as he is a hazard to eBAY SELLER community.

sorry for your loss,there is no insurance for this kind of loss,unfortunately 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.