Attempted Blackmail

Jhardy
Contributor
Contributor

I run a store on Etsy. This afternoon I was sent an email stating if I did not pay this person $200.00 and say it was for advertising that they would have my store closed down??  Then this person gave me her paypal address. I thought I should pass this along to you as you might be interested if someone was using paypal to blackmail people. 

My paypal is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

her first email to me: 

This is NOT a vintage item, nor is it one of a kind. I have it! Guess how I know? As I've noticed of MANY of your items, they were purchased from the Liquidation Chanel. So, what do you want to do about this? I could report you to Etsy and shut your shop down or I can keep my mouth shut. Your choice.

This is more of our conversation where she says she will simply say she was offering me advertising. 

So what do you propose?

Sarah 4 hours ago
I think you should pay me $200 to help advertise your page.

John Hardy 4 hours ago
$200.00 and you wont bother me anymore?

Sarah 4 hours ago
Only if I needed more info to advertise for the page 🙂 But I generally only need your page name, and I've got that! So we should be good to go from here.

Sarah 4 hours ago
My paypal is XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sarah 4 hours ago
Oh, and the $200 is good for an entire two years of advertising campaigning! 🙂

John Hardy 4 hours ago
Why would you want to advertise my page?

Sarah 4 hours ago
Are you going to pay or not?

John Hardy 4 hours ago
hmm, have to thin about it while I eat dinner. I cant make a decision on an empty stomach.

Sarah 4 hours ago
Don't play with me. Just pay.

Sarah 4 hours ago
I'm not a patient person.

I have reported her to Etsy and am waiting to hear back from them on what the intend to do. I hope Paypal will look at this and take it very seriously.  You may want to keep an eye on her account. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Dustin

Hi JHardy,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please keep us updated if there is any new information.

- Dustin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.