Another fraud facilitated by PayPal. What's new?

watts0312
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I've joined the masses in getting scammed dealing with eBay and PayPal.

Sold an Apple Watch on eBay, buyer immediately opens case with PayPal saying item was not as described and that it was cracked when he got it. I immediately knew something was up as I packaged it in its original box along with wrapping that up and padded the shipping boxes insides. After speaking with a rep at PayPal, she proceeds to say "Well the buyer immediately filed the claim and stated that he didn't think it was your fault, that it was the shipping company's fault... so I don't think he's trying to scam you." Oh really? Clearly already siding with the buyer. The buyer never submitted images as proof of the damage, while I supplied multiple images of the item when it was shipped. PayPal sided with the buyer and issued a refund once the buyer provided tracking information, and once it was confirmed as delivered, PayPal then marked the case closed and refunded the buyer. A PayPal rep did this since I called in and explained that the item I received back was a calculator. Yep, that's right, a calculator. There was no where on there to mark the claim as I received an item that was not what was sold. The only option was to select that I received the item - case closed. The PayPal rep started an appeal on the case and I provided, yet again, photographic proof of the package I received before opening it (as one could clearly see it was not the same size as the Apple Watch packaging), images of the contents inside, and video of me opening the package to show what was inside. Now I'm having to provide more evidence into this claim, as apparently that wasn't enough, of a police report or a notarized affidavit. I'm now going through that process today and more than likely this will take weeks, if not months to be resolved at this rate.

*Update: now PayPal rep is telling me the evidence files I sent on my behalf haven't been received, sent them yesterday and the affidavit earlier today. I had to send them in via email because there was no more attachment room on my claim. How convenient. 

I don't understand how PayPal can think this is conducive to assisting it's sellers! If I could curse in here, I would. I'm fuming that I have to go through this much trouble to prove my case while some little s___ doesn't have to provide ANYTHING to back up his claim. Even if he did, how hard would it be to find a photo of a cracked Apple Watch screen? Not that hard obviously. 

If you've read my issue this far, then I thank you. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and was there any good that came out of it? Does PayPal actually do the right thing and if so, will I have aged another 5 years before anything is done about it?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Never sell anything expensive and accept PayPal as payment option, Apple items are also common items which scammers look for. PayPal only handles money and it's here to do business, whenever problems arise they will gladly refund buyers because it's not PayPal's money and then buyer wont file chargeback which would harm PayPal bit. Buyer is of course more than happy to continue using PayPal since he got free item, maybe even telling his friends about this wonderful service. I'm sure no matter which country you live you could find buyer for Apple Watch without having to involve PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.