Another bitcoin scam thread.

JLGarber
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I know you already know what I'm about to say. I sold bitcoin to some unknown and supposedly "verified" buyer with a 100% positive feedback score who then turned around and submitted an unauthorized payment claim through paypal. I understand why any organization would take the default position of protecting the consumer, but an argument needs to finally be put forth in a legal environment that investigates whether or not sellers should bear the entirety of the damages incurred (which become 2 fold) regardless of the type of item they sell whether it be physical or digital, assuming the seller can provide adequate, reproducible evidence of a product exchanged. More so, that it is questionable in that in essentially every one of these transactions, which are apparently quite a lot these days, that Paypal has obviously failed to protect the security of its consumers, assuming what Paypal is actually claiming did in fact happen, that being that some unauthorized user gained access to the account owner's credentials. Should this  security failure on Paypal's part, or possibly the consumer's, be completely levied against a seller? Failure to secure your own account passwords obviously shouldn't be met with you bearing the financial burden of an unauthorized claim, but if the seller was dimwitted and exercised poor judgement when executing what turned out to be a fraudulent transaction, why is it not the case that Paypal's inability to verify the security of the transaction before it took place not as bad as the seller's if not worse? Paypal never will obviously, but ideally they should owe the consumer as much of a refund as the seller does. I find it amazing that in this day and age you need to provide 2FA for dealing with pratically anything of value when interacting online, but the same measures are not applied beforehand by an instituation like paypal that is notorious for limiting accounts and withholding funds pending some verification outcome. Perhaps send a confirmation email to the buyer or a text message asking if they're making a purchase? And I'm sorry, but digital items are legitimate products. A digital product is every bit as real as your paypal funds themselves or a Netflix account. And in fact digital items are more verifiable than physical ones. So to continuously defend this ridiculous 1 sentence policy of not protecting sellers of digital goods, which to be honest everyone knows is just paypal's way saving themselves money, is ridiculous. And it's paypal's fault that everyone knows this is true. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal does send an email to the buyer when he makes payment,does it not?

as for provding seller protetcion for digital/virtual products,real estate,customs goods,financial products,motorised vehicles,you have to approach PAYPAL.

why do you continue to use Paypal to accept payment when you know darn well there is no seller protection?

Login to Me Too

JLGarber
Contributor
Contributor

I mean a verification email. To guarantee that the buyer is the legitimate sender of payment. Or even a text message. I won't be using paypal anymore. I simply wasn't aware that they considered digital items that were trackable/verifiable as illigitimate. And to be honest, Paypal hasn't just costed those selling digital currency money, but plenty of individuals selling physical items as well. If I wanted to right now, I could do exactly what the scammer did to me to some poor individual. And paypal would take my side. It is a major problem that this is true and needs to be remedied, not laughed off and defended by "volunteer advisors" like yourself. Amazing title by the way.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

proof of delivery is a tracking number online viewable provided by a commercial carrier.

Paypal is not a suitable payment processor for your products.

I would ask for money order,postal order,cashier check,wiretransfer ,cash,money gram,western union

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.