Am I Out $3,000?!!!? HELP!

VeryCoolAlan
Contributor
Contributor

So I bought an amplifier from some guy on Head-Fi.org, I know you're not supposed to send the money as a gift because you're not covered but I did anyway because the fee was hella high, also the seller had been a member for 10 years and had good trader feedback, but when I sent him the $3300 for the product he gave me a tracking number and it was the wrong one, it's been two weeks and he won't respond to my messages, everyone says to do a Chargeback Dispute with my bank or to try and ask PayPal to reverse it and try to get them involved in order to get my money back.

So what do I do!? Am I **bleep** over $3,000?!?!!?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why would you be concerned about a fee?  The buyer doesn't pay a fee for a purchase.

You knew the risks and determined to take the risk; astonishing.

You're only hope is if you funded with a credit card.  You could contact the credit card bank to claim item wasn't received.

Login to Me Too

VeryCoolAlan
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I know dumb right? Also yes I paid with my Bank Debit Card. They have a fraud affidavit I will fill out .
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Just make sure you don't dispute a not authorized; that would be real fraud as you you did authorize.

Login to Me Too

VeryCoolAlan
Contributor
Contributor
I went to my bank the day I made this thread and they told me it would be 45 to 60 DAYS!
Then a few weeks later PayPal closed the case and said that it was ruled in my favor, but I guess since it hasn't been 45 to 60 days (only been 39) I won't see the money yet? Is this right?
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

no,you should see the money back in your account immediately ,or next day.

see what happens when a buyer files a dispute,Paypal immediately withhold the $$ from the seller account,it is still in his account but he cannot touch it.

But sometimes the seller has withdrawn the money,so his Paypal account has a negative balance .

If you win the case,Paypal will front the money and go after the seller to restore his account to neutral (zero balance).

you need t o call Paypal and ask when will you get your money back.

how did you win the case,if you use a  bank card,bank does not get involved in item not as descrived or item not received,they just deal with unauthorised transaction like someone hacked into your bank account?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

Why would you be concerned about a fee?  The buyer doesn't pay a fee for a purchase.

You knew the risks and determined to take the risk; astonishing.

You're only hope is if you funded with a credit card.  You could contact the credit card bank to claim item wasn't received.

In most cases,the seller agreed to sell for less if the buyer sends fund using friend and family,saving the seller 3 % .

It also happens on Ebay ,since Ebay charges 10%,so buyer and seller skip Ebay and deal outside Ebay.

Login to Me Too

VeryCoolAlan
Contributor
Contributor

Ah sorry,

I called PayPal and they said since it was a 'gifted' transaction there was nothing they could do, so they told me to go to my bank and do a chargeback dispute, so I did. The lady at my bank told me it would be 45 to 60 days. A couple of weeks later PayPal emailed me stating that they had gotten an alert that my bank was investigating, so then a couple of more weeks later PayPal closed the case but said that they had refunded the $3200 but it was up to my bank to give it to me, so I know I'm getting my refund, but don't know when, it has been 40 days now ...

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It looks like you need to follow up with your bank since that's where filed the dispute.  The bank needs to get involved in finding your money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.