Account Permanently limited - only 1 transaction sending myself money

mindfit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I opened a new Paypal account in New Zealand and transferred one payment to it from myself from an American PayPal account.  2 months later I get the email saying my transaction (of sending my money to myself) was reason for permanently limiting the account.

I have had PayPal for 8 years, attached to an American Bank.  All I want to do is open a New Zeland Paypal and transfer to a New Zealand Bank.  4 Times now Paypal has perminetly closed these accounts holding on to over $600 of money under different emails.  I am not buying anymore domain names just to get a paypal account.

They say to email them, I usually get the standard reply I broke some regulation.  I am completely surprised that now sending money to friends and family (my one transaction) is grounds to close an account. But they will never actually help you with what you have done wrong to fix it for next time.

My previous attempted to open an account was closed for copyright voliation.  I own the copyright since it is origional product.  I pointed out the name of the artist on the website was me, the email address on the website was the same domain as paypal, that it is the same product they have accepted for 8 years, all I want to do is change Banks I transfer my money to into a different country.  All I got was the standard copy and paste reply saying there is nothing I can do I broke the rules.

I am living in Thailand, but have access to VOP to call someone real in the States.  I would just like to find out why my accounts are constatly being closed and they are keeping the money in them.  This last time I thought I was fine, but 2 months after the transaction they closed it as well.

Any advise on how to contact someone who has more responsibility than copy and pasting emails as replies?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mindfit

If you are living in Thailand then why would you have a U.S and a New Zealand paypal account??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mindfit
Contributor
Contributor
Because I have lived in the US and New Zealand and PayPal does not let you change the banks country on an account. They tell you to start a new Paypal
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mindfit

Thats correct.

Paypal is country specific so if you move country you have to open another paypal account in that country and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

Thats why you have to withdraw all funds and remove financial info and close your old countries account before you leave that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mindfit
Contributor
Contributor
I can not take the risk. I have 4 accounts closed with funds withheld, so I am not going to close the one account attached to the American Business that has been going for 8 years. Each business is located in a different country (these are new websites) and I source product and pay staff in the different countries. Having a single account in just one is a double whammy of fees when the currency is converted. You are supposed to be able to have multiply business PayPal accounts. There is nothing in the rules about which countries they are in. (Right? I could not see that). But each business is still active in each country. I just wanted my main business moved to NZ. When I change the PayPal account on the website it was permanently closed (again holding funds for 180 days) If that is not allowed then I can accept that and will get a merchant account with the Banks and process myself. What I am wanting is someone who can me exactly what I am doing wrong so that I stop doing it. PayPal do not do this. They let us speculate in a forum 😞
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You should have spoken to PayPal business services to see how you can operate and use PayPal under your business model.  Or even read the user agreements.  If you want to know the answer, call up customer service.  This is user to user forum, not customer service.  To me, what you have done would seem a justified cause for concern by PayPal.  You could keep US sales in the US PayPal account for instance but you cannot cross-borders with it.  Why do you think US companies have overseas HQs and they can't repatriate the money to US. What they make overseas, stays overseas or wherever in your case, are based.  There is the Patriot Act, KYC, AML, banking laws, tax laws.  What you make in US, New Zealand, etc, stays in those places.  Since you think we are speculating here, I bid you to please speak to PayPal, read their user agreements and FAQs.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.