About PayPal Policy Updates

Jestor
Contributor
Contributor

the new currency conversion charges is this going effect when a currence is converted from another country when purchasing something on ebay, before there was no charge. So I was just wondering if that is going change. 

Then will there be a conversion charge if I recieve a payment in another currency from somewhere online like ebay or not from a bank. Because there is no charge currently. So I wanted to clarify on that.

I am trying to find out what will effect me and wether I should stay with Paypal or not as I'm not a business I use my account for my own personal use and online purchases through ebay and other sites that take Paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if you want to buy something from Ebay Canada and the seller listed his items in Canadian currency,Paypal will convert your US dollars into Canadian dollars,the currency conversion fee will be paid by you.

If the Canadian seller listed his item on Ebay -USA,he wil be asking for US dollars,you pay him US dollars and he would either accept US dollars and keep them in his US $ PAYPAL account or ask PAYPAL  to convert to Canadian dollars,he pays conversion fee.

You dont have much of a choice but to use Paypal if you buy on Ebay,most sellers accept paypal .

Login to Me Too

Jestor
Contributor
Contributor

You dont have much of a choice but to use Paypal if you buy on Ebay,most sellers accept paypal.

That used to be the case but nowdays it is just as easy to pay with a credit card as use Paypal and as I have never payed any currency conversion fees before this if they start charging me I'm cashing out Paypal. Paying with Credit on Ebay doesn't charge currency conversion rates.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Jestor wrote:

You dont have much of a choice but to use Paypal if you buy on Ebay,most sellers accept paypal.

That used to be the case but nowdays it is just as easy to pay with a credit card as use Paypal and as I have never payed any currency conversion fees before this if they start charging me I'm cashing out Paypal. Paying with Credit on Ebay doesn't charge currency conversion rates.

like I explained,if you buy on Ebay USA from a foreign sellers,you paid US Dollars,there is no conversion.

But if you go t o Ebay Canada,Ebay Germany etc,you pay PAYpal TO convert your US dollars into Canadian dollars,euro .

NO different than you travelling to a foreign country ,you pay local currency.

Login to Me Too

Jestor
Contributor
Contributor

Yep I missed that part..

Looks like I'll keep Paypal for a few more years anyway..

Thank you for clarifing that again. lol

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Wow, didn't get no notification about these upcoming changes and increases to fees! Smiley Surprised

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Nice, during the short time I have sold stuff on eBay, I've already seen total fees go up relatively quickly.

Login to Me Too

GalZohar
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that even though I removed my credit cards from paypal completely, and pay on ebay with "credit card" (not selecting paypal at all), I see my credit card charged by paypal with an inflated rate that seem to have included conversion fees, even though ebay showed the payment in US$ and I was never notified that my card might be charged in local currency.

Buying on other websites or anywhere else around the world does not present this issue - My credit card is charged with the correct currency and does the conversion by itself, with a conversion fee that I can live with (much lower than paypal).

Anyone has any idea why is that and how to avoid it?

I don't even see any transactions on my paypal account, as I paid with credit card.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@GalZohar

You really need to pay attention to the details when you pay for your item on eBay.

Was there an indicatin that you were paying through PayPal?

Was there an almost hidden option to use a credit card and not PayPal?

Were you logged into PayPal at the time?

Suggestion:

Next time, make sure you are not logged in to PayPal on the computer when you make a purchase.

Use a credti card that was never linked to PayPal.

Use a different broweser than the one you use for PayPal.

What does your receipt for the purchase show?  You did print a receipt at time of purchase, right?

Does the transaction show in your PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@GalZohar

I looked at your post again to see what I could learn.

Here's what I think.

There is no transaction in your PayPal account; that means it did not use YOUR PayPal account to pass through the charge.

The seller uses PayPal to process payments for all buyers.

So, you used your non-PayPal-linked credit card to make the payment throug the merchant's PayPal acocunt.  Such as purchase would show up on your credit card as to PayPal or PP and should be followed by the merchants identification.

The fee may be established by the credit card bank.

I would only make a purchase which is in my own currency so there would be no fees.  Purchases in foreign currency can have unexpected fees.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.