Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

gymtastic14
New Community Member

this was, for me, a number used to process the charges for meetscoresonline which is a certified and valid site used for USAG gymnastics meets. I do not know whether the phone number is dedicated for this website and its registration it might be a 3rd party billing co but it is a valid charging contact number

Login to Me Too

Temp20230525ae
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved a telephone call this morning 4-17-17 at 6:44am PT from a recording that was supposedly from PayPal requesting my

Paypal Phone Confirmation Pin Number.  I let the machine pick it up but am assuming that this was a fraudulent phishing telephone call.  

Just wanted to let the community know to be on the defensive and check your accounts for fraudulent charges!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

402-935-7733 is a PayPal phone number, but I don't understand why someone would request  a PIN.

Was there a name associated with the caller ID number?

Login to Me Too

Temp20230525ae
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your repsonse. The name on the caller id says Paypal Inc - see photo attached.  This can't really be from paypal - the message was automated and said "Hello, This is PayPal Automation System.  Please enter your Phone Confirmation Pin Number.

Both my husband and I were asleep so neither of us were charging anything to PayPal and I don't see anything on either my paypal accounts or bank account or credit cards so it just seems like this was some sort of phishing for my pin number.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From a Google search the number is a PayPal official number.  I think it was legit.

I also think it's good you did not respond.

I think you should immediately check your PayPal account, verify acocunt details, including yor profile information, and then change your PayPal password.

Do you have authentication set up with your PayPal account where PayPal sends a message for your to confirm certain account changes?

I think someone made an attempt to to log into your PayPal account and PayPal sent you the call to confirm that you were attepting to log in with wrong password or something.  It was likely an automated PayPal security check.  If you weren't doing anthing at the time, then it could have been an attempt by someone else to gain access to your account.

Someone else may have a diferent perspective.

Login to Me Too

margo13
Contributor
Contributor

I have some additional perspective to add. While I did not receive a phone call, I did notice a transaction on my credit card that I did not authorize. It followed 72 minutes after a transaction I did authorize. On my credit card activity, both the auhtorized and unauthorized transaction displayed the above number. While many claim it is a legitimate paypal number, which may very well be true considering it is in official paypal text, phishing scams today do a good job hiding who they are behind the veil of authentic numbers. The scam con artists must know how to hide their true phone number.  You are fortunate that you were both asleep and immediately suspicious of the number. Had you answered in a half-awake stupor who knows what information you would have divulged. Please be wary and and practice constant vigilance!

Login to Me Too

chescq
New Community Member

I just checked my bank account earlier and found this charge of $147 from Paypal "*SHANEE2199 402-935-7733 CA 07/12" . Searched the number and voila! found this thread about the same exact phone number with issues from different people claiming its a fraud. Did Paypal ever rectify this issue??? I will contact the bank later to dispute but this is really alarming. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It may have nothing to do with Paypal,your bank should be able to trace it,also check your security software on your cell phone

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What did you buy that day using your bank debit card?  Where were you on that date and the day before?  You need to do some investigation about your own purchases and activities.  If you don't remember your activities then phone your bank and ask for details about your transactions.

Login to Me Too

sunnyD1
Contributor
Contributor

To anyone who says the  "Paypal" charges w this phone number 402-935-7733 reference are legit, NO THEY ARE NOT!!!

Charges were made to a card not linked to my paypal account.  Check your paypal account - the charges are not there. 

Call your credit card company ASAP as your account has been compromised.

Good luck trying to contact paypal, that is a joke.  They should sue the creeps but, oh well.

Just knock these 402 guys outta the box.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.