wedding supplier scam

wongchong
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting married on 24.06.16.  I booked my Starlit dancefloor last year and paid a deposit of £100.  I used PayPal to make the payment as I thought this would protect me if anything went wrong.  Well it has, the company I booked with have vanished with mine and everyone elses money.  I am gutted as it's only 2 weeks til my wedding and now I have to try to find the money to get another one (if there are any available at such short notice). 

I contacted PayPal expecting that I would be refunded but they have come back and told they wouldn't do this as the payment was more than 45 days ago.  Of course it was, I am planning my wedding, I had to book well in advance to be sure of getting my date.

Has anyone else been through something similar and was the outcome any different for you?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wongchong

Not sure i understand you as you can file a dispute in the UK up to 180 days after you paid.

BUT you said you booked it last year so surely that is after 180 days??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

wongchong
Contributor
Contributor
I don't know why i put 45 days. My mistake anyway it was booked over a year ago as you need to do for a wedding so regardless it is more than paypals stated time. But thanks for pointing it out any other help you can give would be great
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wongchong

All i can suggest is that if you funded that paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.