"Additional Authorization" charge on my account without my consent

enthralled
New Community Member

Recently I purchased a digital camera from a well known online store and opted to use PayPal as the method of payment. I logged into my PayPal account and confirmed the total price of $216.66. Later I received a confirmation email from paypal and a statement from the Camera store for correct amount of $216.66. The next day I received a message from the store asking them to call them back to confirm my purchase. When I did call them back they simply wanted to confirm if I wanted the camera in black, which I did, and then asked what size memory card I would be using. I said that I was not sure as I have several lying around and then after asking me roughly how many pictures I would be taking said that a 2GB card should do. Then he thanked me for my order and that was the end of the call. Later that night I started to wonder if he was trying to add a memory card to the order and went to the company's website to check my order status and my order now shows a 2GB memory card for $79.99 as well as the camera. No problem I thought, as I didn't send them the additional $79.99 but when I log into my PayPal account I now see "original order $216.66" and also "additional authorization $87.09". So who authorized the $87.09, I certainly didn't. How can a company just add charges and receive money from my account without my authorization or knowledge?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

northstarseatac
New Community Member

I have the same question for Pay Pal.  What do they consider acceptible billing practices? 

In my case I ordered and paid $7 for a seven day trial of a software program via PayPal. At the end of that time the supplier billed me through PayPal for a one year license at $75 which I never authorized.  The "order" also included AUTOMATIC annual renewals!  I immediatly filed a dispute with PayPal, billing agent and software supplier, it is pending.

I can't find a policy statement from PayPal addressing acceptible supplier billing practices.

Each and every billing or billing change should have customer approval, in my oppinion.

Dale

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.