paypal for craigslist items?

earlygirl
Contributor
Contributor

I listed some stuff on craigslist, and the buyer wanted to pay via paypal. I said I would set up an auction on ebay for her to purchase the items, and that I don't deal directly with craigslist buyers via paypal. She ignored what I said, and said she deposited into my account via paypal using the email address I'd been corresponding with her.

I did not click on the link that supposedly came from Paypal confirming the transaction, but logged in separately. The funds do seem to be there, but I'm still leery and POd that she disregarded my request - I've heard of tons of scams like this from "buyers" on craigslist. It's also taking me 3-5 tries now to log into Paypal, which seems weird. Any advice?

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

MikeLupro
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the same type message and am wondering how I could get scammed if I do see the funds deposited in my PayPal account.  The craigslist inquiry is asking for my PayPay address (which is ok) but they also want my home address.  This makes sense if they are sending someone to pickup my item but it still feels like a scam.  I don't know how I could get taken but am curious if anyone can tell me if I should proceed or not.

This is the message:

Good to hear back from you. I'm okay with the price and the condition. Presently, i am out of town with my UNICEF TEAM to raise funds for the Children Living with Malaria and i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work. Moreover, I would have loved to call but our satellite server has been down in recent days which restricts our calls. I will be paying you through PayPal as it is the only Medium at which i can send Payment at the Moment. I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person. And if you don't have a PayPal account, It's pretty easy to set up a PayPal account at www.paypal.com  . it's just a few minutes away from signing up. it's safe and secure for both Parties and i have been using PayPal to buy and sell for years now without problems. Pls get back to me with your PayPal email so i can proceed with the payment and contact the Pick up Agent who will come for the Pick up of the item. I will need these following details so i can proceed with the payment right away

1:Your PayPal e-Mail Address

2: Home Address

As soon as you get back to me with your PayPal email, I'll proceed with full Payment. I look forward to reading from you soon.

Login to Me Too

celebirin
New Community Member

I am getting the EXACT same message just slightly reworded. this is mine. "thanks for getting back to me about this item and i can only make the transaction via papal. been a secure way and my agent will handle the title transfer and pickup because i wont be available for the inspecting and picking up of this item due to my tight schedule as a i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making are restricted, so you can send me your paypal email account so that i can send the payment at once and its easy to sign up for one just log on to www.paypal.com, i will be resposible for the pickup charges. note ill also include the shipping company's fee so kindly get back to me with your papal email account so i can proceed with the payment asap thanks."

im thinking super scam. who in the heck buys a truck sight un seen. without asking what engine is in it or color, or anything.... scam

Login to Me Too

EigthBit
Contributor
Contributor
Most definitely a scam. I have a similar response. Thank for your mail. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as advertised in the listing,i will like to add $100 to your final price for you to keep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as i am serious with this.I will like you to know that i am really interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account to send the payment and send me more pics of this item if available since it will not be seen in person so i can pay it right away I am a busy at work and do not have much time around me.Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked at your residence,so no shipping
Login to Me Too

Alecw_19

even if you DID receive the funds in your account, DO NOT ship the item! 

the "buyer" will receive the item, then contact Paypal and report that YOU scammed them and sent them a broken item or a box of rocks, Paypal will then refund them and you will LOSE THE MONEY AND THE ITEM you shipped. 

this is a very common scam. 

Login to Me Too

CCRoja

I have seen the scams, but I received an email from someone and I don't know if its real or a different way there scaming us now. The buyer states  " I am in the position to get this for my cousin in over sea.. I am set-up with Pay Pal now due to the nature of my work so kindly get back to me with your Pay Pal email address and the name on the account in order to pay for the item.. I will be responsible for the shipping fee ($45) and $5 extra in order to keep the sale to myself.. I prefer shipment via USPS(Registered Mail International Parcel).. I will wait to read from you in order to complete this transaction"  . HELP is this a scam??

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi CCRoja,

It's hard to know if that is a scam.  The email seems fine to me except for one thing: "..and the name on the account..." .  The buyer should not need the name on your PayPal account to send you a payment.  It's possible that if this is a scam a buyer might want a seller's name to use when sending out a fake PayPal email so that the email looks authentic and greets the seller by their first and last name in the email.

If you decide to go through with it, I recommend the following:

- Check your PayPal account on the PayPal website to see if a payment is showing before considering to ship.  Even if you receive an email stating you have been paid, that's the best way to verify that a payment is there.  Many times scam emails will say that the money is pending until the item is shipped or delivered.  This is possible but there would still always be a record of the payment in the account.  If you do see activity, make sure it's not just a PayPal money request or invoice that says "pending".

- Follow all PayPal Seller Protection requirements.

I hope this helps. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.