Where did PayPal obtain my "preferred shipping addresses?"!

roadrunnersk
Contributor
Contributor

I am out doing some online shopping, and I decide to buy something and use Paypal. I type in my name differently on the shipping information on this site, and when checking out Paypal prompts me and says that I am "using an address different from the one I have on file". Think of it as if I typed "Dave Smith" instead of "David Smith".

There is a "preferred addresses" link available, so I click it out of curiousity. I expected that my name was just one letter off, and that it would show my normal shipping information. LOW AND BEHOLD, my BOSS'S ADDRESS is listed there. Now that I think of it, actually it is my boss's boss's address.

Where in the world did Paypal get this information? I've never shipped anything to her (and if she knew what I was shipping, meaning somehow I clicked on that button -- thank God I didn't-- I wouldn't have a job any longer). It is nothing bad that I purchased, just nothing I want the president of my company to see -- I'm a professional by all accounts and folks knowing that I play Halo religiously wouldn't sit well.

This is very disturbing to me. To quell the fears of password sharing -- I've never shared my passwords and accounts, and certainly would never with this person. I don't know her on any level near sharing an account. My password has a "strong rating" from my understanding, using numbers and capital letters. I have also changed my password since.

If anyone has any insight, it is greatly appreciated. I'm terribly worried about this... Thank you all.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Buyorsell888
Contributor
Contributor

Have you sold something for your boss?

Do you ever use a company PayPal account or eBay account?

Did you ever buy something for work with your eBay or PayPal account?

Do you use your work computer for eBay or PayPal? Could you have been logged on to their account and not yours?

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

Buyorsell888
Contributor
Contributor

Have you sold something for your boss?

Do you ever use a company PayPal account or eBay account?

Did you ever buy something for work with your eBay or PayPal account?

Do you use your work computer for eBay or PayPal? Could you have been logged on to their account and not yours?

Login to Me Too

roadrunnersk
Contributor
Contributor

I just got back in and want to mark this complete... Spent half the day investigating, and paypal customer service was great, contrary to what a lot of people are saying out there on the web. Turns out I got flowers for our admin 2 years ago and somehow paid with paypal. My info is safe and my worries have calmed. Thank you paypal 🙂 

Login to Me Too

LuvzShiny
New Community Member

Thank you for posting this!! 

Same thing just happened to me with my nightmare ex-boss's address appearing from seemingly nowhere on my last transaction.  What a relief to learn why, though puzzling that it only now shows up, many years later.  Hopefully there is a way to delete or supress it, so this address is not accidentally selected. 

Login to Me Too

capricrafts
New Community Member

I just purchased something from a merchant I have never visited before paypal asked me which shipping address I would like to use and pulled up 6 addresses 2 of which are not mine and have not been used in over 5 years. and several versions of the same address  how do I remove these from my account and just have my one address??

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.