Whats the straight dope on this?

lockex1
New Community Member

“When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and the PayPal Group’s use of such content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.” 

In clear terms whats this all about?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

SPFA
Contributor
Contributor

(I already posted my response on another thread, but I want to make sure this question gets answered, so I'm quoting myself here as well.) https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Feedback-for-PayPal/Changes-to-The-User-Agreement/m-p/967614#...

I'm also really wondering what exactly this change means. I think it's saying that Paypal owns content uploaded directly to the website, so for example, I have a business logo on my invoices that is uploaded here, and they will owns the rights to that logo. However, I'm worried that this vague paragraph means more than I understand, and is applying to the very content I'm selling.

I doubt that the latter is the case, since Paypal is linked to sites like Steam, and I really don't think Steam would allow Paypal the rights to all the video games they sell, but I'd really feel reassured if I understood this more clearly.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.