Weird situation

Solis93
Contributor
Contributor

So I listed something on Craigslist. A person from Canada wants to buy it. I said, sure but it must be a VERIFIED address or no go. My impression is that I am not protected by sending the goods to a non-verified address. She sqays "no problem, but I need you to send it to my maildrop that I keep just on the other side of the Canadian border to save on shipping charges." Again, I tell her that I will send it wherever she likes as long as it is a verified address.

She sends the money, and it is to her Canadian un-verified address. So I send her a screenshot of the charges to UPS the package to her. She says to send it to her mail-drop. I tell her, only if it is verified, and I refund her money. So she says to send her an invoice, which I do, and she says she is unable to change the mailing address on her invoice,  and that it is still the Canadaian address and that PayPal said it is OK to ship to a non-verified address and I would stll be covered by seller protection, etc...

I tell her no. She contacts PayPal and I get an email from PayPal, and I quote:

QUOTING: 

Dear Solis93,

I am sending this email to you on request of [buyer's name] for the transaction ID INV2-9T9A-MTHV-WXQZ-C6YR that  she wants to pay for the transaction to go through. She is requesting that you have it shipped to the address [buyer's address], instead to her Canada address. She really wants to do this transaction with you and she really do hope that you will have an agreement with her. I would like to make a suggestion to please contact your potential good buyer for this transaction.

Sincerely,
Peter
PayPal Customer Solutions
PayPal

END QUOTE

The following headers are from the email. It LOOKS as though it came from PayPal. The problem is that the envoice number he is referencing (ID INV2-9T9A-MTHV-WXQZ-C6YR) does not exist.

So, if I take this woman's money, and send her my merchandise, to a non-verified address, am I still protected should she try to pull a fast one?

Thank you in advance for your attention. I tried to paste the message source here, but paypal does not allow email addresses. 

Solis93

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I cant imagine Paypal sending out such email.

but you dont have t o send to verified address ,you send to the address on the payment notice and pay attention what it said -whther it fits seller protection or partial protection

She can add addresses to her Paypal account,how long did she have the drop off place?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There is no such thing as 'verified address'.

address is confirmed and bank account is verified.

You confirm your address by providing an address where you receive your credit card statement or your bank statement.

Your verify your bank account by finding the 2 deposits Paypal made to your bank account and come back to Paypal and tell it what the 2 deposit amounts are. 

Login to Me Too

Solis93
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

She says she uses her drop-box regularly to receive items from the US without incuring huge shipping bills. But if that is true, then why isn't it part of her PayPal profile, right?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Solis93 wrote:

Thank you for your response.

She says she uses her drop-box regularly to receive items from the US without incuring huge shipping bills. But if that is true, then why isn't it part of her PayPal profile, right?

you should suggest to her to add to her profile,but most sellers go by Paypal email notice ,when you print the label,what address comes up?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

-you can google to see if the drop off place is legit.

-if she  make up that Paypal email,then I would worry.

you can also call PAYPAL CUSTOMER dept and ask to speak to PAUl or is it Peter?   

Login to Me Too

Solis93
Contributor
Contributor

"I cant imagine Paypal sending out such email."

I know, I can't either. I have been using paypal for at least 10 years and this has never happened. The header information does show that it was sent from a PayPal server though. That is what makes this so weird.

So, basically I can shipo to her anywhere she wants provided that I use USPS tracking using Priority Mail with delivery and/or a signature confirmation? Will that be enough for me to qualify for Seller's Protection?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Did you read the link I sent you for seller protection-

-you must send to the address on the Paypal payment email

-pay attention to see if it qualifes for seller protection

-ship with tracking,if $750 or more,it should be signed for.

USPS prioriy mail covers $50-$100 insurance.

I heard there is or will be  a strike in CANADA,is it true.

But if her drop off place is right by the border,either she can go and pick it up herself or have them consolidate into one packae to save on shipping.

There is also this customs business,she could be avoiding custom duty by driving across the border and coming back with the goods.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.