Trying to avoid a claim

cwhit54409
Contributor
Contributor

I sold three items (approximately $330 worth of goods) to a buyer in Singapore and shipped them on June 15. They have USPS tracking and were sent First Class mail. My listing for these items clearly stated this. The buyer did not ask for insurance on the package. 

The buyer in Singapore has not recieved the items. I have gone to the post office and inquired but they can only tell me that the items passed through Chicago on June 17th. The buyer is impatient and threatening me with a claim if the items do not arrive on Monday.

I have been told by many people that if she makes a claim, I'm basically out of luck. I have the tracking number and the receipt proving I sent it but there was no insurance. She did not ask for such and my listing for the item did not mention insurance. I believe that to be the buyer's responsibility. I clearly stated which form of shipping I was offering included with the purchase price.

I'm very concerned because I don't know what to do. I no longer have the items and from what I have read, paypal will side with her and refund her. 

Please help! I've never had a problem like this before and I don't know what to do. I've offered to send replacements for free with upgraded shipping and even that seems like it isn't good enough for the buyer. I cannot speed up the shipping process or find out where the items are. I feel stuck and I don't want to do anything that will upset the buyer but $300 plus no longer having the items would be a big lose for me, too. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The point of insurance is to protect you not the buyer so you should have included it in your charges.

If you don't have trackable proof the buyer RECEIVED the  item then you will have to refund them. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cwhit54409
Contributor
Contributor
So it's my fault that the post office lost a package?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nope but its your responsibility to either insure the package and if you don't bother than that is your risk not the buyers or paypals.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.