Seller is scamming me. How do I deal with this?

Ambushes
Contributor
Contributor

Background: I contacted a user on a forum named Reddit about buying a hard drive. The price was a lot cheaper than usual, but he was okay with using Paypal (not a gift to family / friends) so I felt okay with going forward since I should be protected.  

However, he did end up scamming me. I didn't do enough research and he's scammed people on Reddit before, albeit several months ago after his previous posts have been buried.  

Regardless, i've sent him the money. He has marked it as shipped (but in reality, I know he hasn't shipped anything) with no tracking number. At most he might've shipped me some random item.  

How can i get my money back, since this isn't an eBay transcation? What is the usual process with this, and will Paypal side with me if the seller tries to lie about it?  

Thanks for the help. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ambushes

You can file for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described on paypal via the resolution centre in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ambushes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernow, thanks for replying. 

I've already filed for a dispute; this is what prompted the seller to list the item as SHIPPED (but without tracking). I am 99% sure i will receive nothing.  

However, will Paypal assume i'm telling the truth? What happens if the buyer says "i shipped it to him, he's lying." Is there any way to ensure I'll win the dispute?  

Thanks again.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ambushes

If you file for non receipt then the seller has 10 days to provide a tracking number that proves DELIVERY of the item to you.

If they can't then you should get your refund.

HOWEVER they may ship ''anything'' so do not close the dispute as if it arrives and is not as described you can ask paypal to change the dispute to ''received but not as described''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

go to resolution center (botttom part of your paypal dashboard)  and file a dispute

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Some sellers rely on dropshippers to fill and ship their orders,you see more cases in electronics or hot items .

They get the money from you and then they paid the dropshipper,he could be one of those sellers,it will explain why he cant give you a tracking number as he is not the shipper.

If you really want the harddrive,ask him to be honest with you,give you an estimate when it wil be shipped .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.