Refund including shipping cost

emmr
Contributor
Contributor

I recently purchased a label printer for $450 paid from my PayPal account. I provided the seller with my DHL account and I paid an additional $217 for international shipping. I received the printer and discovered it was not as dscribed, was supposed to be with an LCD touch panel and receive an icon display instead, an inferior type and not suitable for my use.
The seller agreed it was his mistake but he isisted to cnvince me to try and sell it on ebay or craiglist. He refused to pay for return shipping not to mention the original shipping cost.
I opened a dispute on PayPal, meanwhile the seller published the printer on ebay and sold it. Only after 2 weeks he posted a reply to the dispute with instructions to ship the printer to France - the seller is from US and the printer was shipped from US. He requested the shipping to be made using a FedEx account that probably belongs to the new buyer.
PayPal automatically switched the dispute to claim an I received instructions to return the printer for a refund of the purchasing sum, not including the $217 original shipping.

I managed to add the DHL invoice for the shipping, but I am not sure this will be reviewed properly, as the only document I am supposed to send is the tracking number.
From my point of view, receiving something completely different from whatever was ordered should not cause me any losses, this is logical. Practically I claimed refund for the purchase and shipping. If the seller wants it back I think it should ship to the seller and not to another buyer. FedEx is asking for my details and if for some reason the new buyer won't accept to pay or receive it they are charging me, not to mention custom taxes and etc.
Needless to mention that my claim is not for all the other fees I paid, custom release, import taxes and even Visa international transaction fee of almost 2.5%. Not to mention the time spent on correspondence.
I only want to minimize my loss, but PayPal rushes to easy solutions and there is no way to explain things, the system is very tight.
What can I do? 

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

ask the seller for 450,seller has nothing to lose as PAYPAL willl release the hold on the original 450 in her Paypal account .

The longer this drag on,you will end up with the printer and no refund and the seller cannot ship the printer to France and her french buyer could open a case with Ebay and neg her for non performance.and Paypal will then withold her payment from the French buyer.

Where did you buy the printer /Ebay/Craigslist? or under the table?  

Login to Me Too

emmr
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I think the seller after all also faces a problem, as the new buyer will probably open a dispute on ebay.

Given the risks described by you all for sure I am not going to comply and ship it to France.

Just a word, I never buy commercial electronics on ebay, this is not a regular printer, it is a professional label printer, purchase for my company to be used in production. The big difference is the one ordered is able to work as a stand alone, while this one has no display and needs to be connected to a computer.

It seems I will habe to find one as needed and keep this one too. 

Definately a bad and costly experience.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why do you think you will get money from anyone if you ship to France?  Is there any assurance of getting and keeping anything?  My guess is not.

Login to Me Too

emmr
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly what I said.... I am NOT going to ship it to France.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@emmr

Sorry, I miss-red your response.  I think your choice is the least risky for yourself.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@DPCreations wrote:

Why do you think you will get money from anyone if you ship to France?  Is there any assurance of getting and keeping anything?  My guess is not.

she is not going to ship printer until the seller refunded her 450.

you have to read the entire thread,it is poor communication between buyer and seller,seller wants buyer to resell on her own to avoid shipping back to seller,but buyer instead open a case with Paypal and won.

Now PAYPAL has the 450 and want buyer to return the printer with trackable DC before it will refund her the 450.

In the mean time,seller succeeded in reselling the item on ebay to a buyer in France,but seller does not have the printer,she does.

Thats why I SUGGESTED she asked for 450 from the seller,close the dispute so the original 450 will revert back to the seller,then ship the printer to France.

French buyer is paying for shipping,she has a Fed Exp account,all she has t o do is t take it to Fed Exp location and ask Fed EXP to ship.

She is afraid she is liable if French buyer is not happy with the printer ,SHE IS NOT LIABLE,she is not the seller .

It is a case of buying expensive item from overseas seller and poor communication-while she files dispute with Paypal,seller is trying to resell the printer,she won the dispute and seller sold the printer !  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@lancelotme

If you read from the beginning you would see that I have been folowing from the beginning and have a correct understanding of the situation.  Again, you are again making incorrect assumptions about my ability to read and understand conversations.  Again, quite insulting to my intelligence.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You are asking-

how does she know she will get her money if she ships the printer to France.

My suggestion is that she asked for her 450 ,close the dispute,then ship the printer to France.

she is notgong to ship if she does not get her 450 back,and she is not going to close the dispute if she does not get 450 from the seller. 

if you think I am insulting your intelligence,then please do not read my post.

Login to Me Too

emmr
Contributor
Contributor

Guys...no need to fight, you are both right and I appreciate your efforts and assistance.

BTW.... I am a "he" and not "she" 🙂

My dilema was the shipping cost which is quite a cost, about 40% of the printer's cost.... it is a large industrial printer, shipping weight 22kg. 

This is the only thing that bothered me and the initial question was if it is logical to ask the seller to refund also this cost, not only the printer's cost.

For this I got the answer, I cannot claim it from PayPal as I paid separately directly to DHL.

So the result is I can win the claim, insist shipping only to the seller and not to any third party, however this is a difficult task to explain PayPal which instructs to ship first and then receive the refund.

So even in the best case scenario I am still with a damage of $217 shipping, other taxes and probably the PayPal refund fee, all together I assume another $80-100, total more than $300 loss for receiving $450 refund.

This is why I concluded that the best will be to keep the printer.

Of course next time I will learn from this experience, I don't know what other measures I can take in the future but at least I know the risks. This seller probably know the procedure well and uses this with success.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

For this case, the best bet is to close the case to keep the printer or sell it yourself.

Next time, let the seller take care of everything and you just pay for the item + shipping.  No prepaying of shipping using shipping account. Fund purchase by credit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.