Please help with your advice! Fraud Victim here.

kristi12
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I am a victim of big fraud. Please help with your advices.

I was contacted as a virtual assistant with salary of 700$ per month for escrow service company (I have a job agreement signed with a company). At first I was contacting people and responding to their e-mails and calls. Then they proposed to work with me as a partner in escrow services. We signed an agreement. Then we did three transactions with 12000$ in total. I needed to withdraw money to the bank and then to wire it (through international wire, moneygram or western union), leaving my 2.5% escrow comission.
For each of those transactions I was getting an invoice to eBay buyer, who was actually paying for a merchandise.
Also I have the agreement between buyer and supplier which states that I'm doing only escrow services and all the disputes should be solved between buyer and supplier only (i.e. I don't have any responsibility for the goods or the money).
Plus I was getting tracking number for the goods that were sent and received.
Saying that, I was sure that I'm doing a legit job being their partner in the US.

So what should I do now? Do I need to file a report to police? Do I need to hire a laywer? Because from one side I have holds on my Paypal account and negative balance, from the other - I have all the documentation provided by them that I'm basically not responsible for the merchandise.

If at last I'll have to pay to Paypal back, is there a way I can do that portionally in 100$ increments every month? I hardly make money for living now (stay-at-home mom with three kids) and physically don't have that amount of money anywhere. No realty, no own car, nothing...

Please help if you have heard about this kind of stories and advice what to do....

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From the beginning there are so many signs of a scam that were ignored.  Easy money offers are generally scams.  Offers where you have to withdraw your own funds to make money are scams.

PayPal provides no protection for scams, so you will be responsible for all funds owed to PayPal.

As for policy reports, perhaps, but it won't get your money back.  If it were all domestic transactions, there may be some financial laws, but you will need to do some research.

Hopefully, others will read your story, along with so many similar stories on this forum, and avoid similar easy-money scams.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.