Please Help - Someone used my email to create a paypal account

vantage23
New Community Member

Hi, paypal community

I'm in dire need for your advice. Today I logged into my yahoo account to check my mail and I noticed a email from Paypal saying, Welcome to Paypal.

Hello, [someone's name] (which wasn't actually my name)

Hello [name]

Thanks for joining PayPal.

To activate your PayPal account, please confirm your email address.

I do not have a paypal account nor did I ever or recently create one. I noticed that whoever created a Paypal account with my email was also from Beijin, China which is not anywhere close to where I live (in the US).

I fear someone might have hacked my Yahoo email and created a paypal account with my knowledge.

I quickly changed my Yahoo email password and was able to go to paypal.com and check forgot password allowing me to log whoever made an account using my email out.

I have full control of my email and (not really mine) but "my" paypal account.

As of now, the person did not do anything suspcious like add money or make a transition. 

So my question is what do I do now? I do not want this account or a paypal account because I currently do not use it at all. 

Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you read the Community Guidelines! Thank you very much for keeping names out of your post. 🙂

Getting this resolved is easy. A PayPal representative can get some information from you and get this fixed up in a jiffy. You can call or email Customer Service, or if you use Twitter, tweet to @AskPayPal.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.