Need Advice on Receiving an Item Paid for via Paypal

kjreif
Contributor
Contributor

I hired a seamstress from an ad on craigslist to make 2 window treatments, a crib skirt and a blanket.  After going back and forth several times about specs she began working.  I paid for the fabric and had it shipped directly to her.  We communicated the entire way through and I've arranged several attempts to pick up the items.  The course of events went like this:

March 14:  Attempted to pick up completed project, but seller cancelled upon arrival.
March 16:  Seller informs buyer of total cost ($225) and buyer pays in full via paypal.  Pick up is arranged for the morning of March 17.
March 17:  Seller cancels scheduled pickup 90 minutes prior to agreed upon time.
March 23:  Seller informs buyer that the shades will not be completed and that the buyer will have to purchase new top blocks, bottom weights, do the looping and side caps on own or there will be an additional $50 charge.  
March 24:  Buyer and seller agree upon a third pick up attempt for 7pm on March 25.
March 25:  Seller cancels scheduled pick up.  
March 26:  Buyer proposes a fourth new pick up date and time (March 28, 6:30pm) within one of the seller's suggested times.
March 28:  Seller cancels scheduled pick.
March 28:  Seller emails saying that the project will only be available for pick up on March 30 from 8:30-10:00 am.  
March 28:  Seller emails stating that an additional $50 in cash prior to delivery for additional labor.  
I feel like I'm being held hostage.  She has $225, plus all my materials and is now requesting an additional $50.  She continues to state in her emails that this project was much more work that she anticipated.  I feel like that's not my fault.  She gave me a total, I didn't argue at all on price, paid her after we arranged a meeting time.  And she's cancelled several times.  Do I have any recourse?  Any advice in general?
Thanks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Olivia

Hi kjreif, and welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this much difficulty with your purchase! The good news is that you do have options if the seller fails to produce your items. You have the ability to file a dispute for up to 45 days from the date of payment. If you won the dispute, you'd end up with a full refund.

It sounds like you've been very sympathetic to the seller's difficulties, and have gone above and beyond to be accommodating. The seller has not yet produced the promised order and is asking for additional money. These were not the terms of the original agreement. You can certainly pay more if it seems reasonable for you to do so, but you are not beholden to.

As a seller myself, I know I would not want to end up in a situation where all my hard work were wasted, the way it would be if I lost a dispute and a full refund were issued to my buyer. If I miscalculated the amount of time and effort needed to complete a project, I would still make good on any established orders, and use that knowledge to adjust my prices for future transactions.

I hope this helps! Let us know how it went. 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

kjreif
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.  I too am also a seller and I can't imagine treating a client like this - it just blows my mind.  I had agreed to pay the additional $50 in cash when we met her at her requested time (between 8:30-10 this morning).  At 8:29 she emailed me cancelling as she's going out to breakfast.  Sadly, I'm just done.  I feel after 6 pick up attempts I've done my part here and she's just being unreasonable.  

I'm finally a dispute this morning - hope it goes well.  I've never been in a situation like this, and I hope to never be in this again. 

Thanks again!

Kelly

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi kjreif,

Thank you for coming back to update us! I'm definitely interested in hearing how it all pans out. Please do come back and let us know!

Good luck! 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.