I got scammed using gift personal/gift payment

gaming_guru123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

So I bought these shoes for $500 using paypal. This guy sent me pictures of the shoes with his username and everything. The pictures he sent me were real and didnt seem like a scam at all. He sent me a invoice for the the amount asking for a gift payment. When I payed for the invoice I was using a mobile phone and when you pay using these way it dosent say if this is a good or service discount, or personal. So 3 days later I recieve the shoes and found out they were fake. I contacted the seller and confronted him about the situation. He said he is not doing any refunds and even ADMITTED that he got scammed to start off with, so he decided to do the same thing to get even with his money. He even offered me to do the same thing on ebay. (We were communicating over ebay). Luckily I made him put in the invoice detail to say some short details about what im buying, therefore it wasnt no personal payment, also the shoes were a different size from what the detail been on top of being fake. After me and the seller spoke, I called paypal furious. I spoke to a friendly and hopeful phone rep about the incident and she opened adispute and opened a case even with it being a gift paymenyet. ( I didnt know it was a gift payment until i tried to file a dispute over the internet). The seller didint respond to the dispute, but I have very good evidence that is was a complete scam, even messages stating that this was a scam. I want to know what else I can do. The payment was with paypal funds already on the account with a few dollars using a instant transfer using my credit card. Please gives me way I can be helped into winnig this case or even a way to send this edviendce to better my case chances.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

gaming_guru123
Contributor
Contributor

You im from the US. I just cant post in the US forum. 

I understand what you are saying about personal payments dont get a dispute, but im one of the only cases that got through with the dispute expert and they put a escalated claim for me. I can't find anyone that actually got through with a dispute for this claim, but I so greatful I did.

Also the dispute itself is just like any other one I was in, same layout and everything. It says item is significantly not as describe and even have the notes the expert put in. The one thing that actually prove this is not a typical friend or family payment is the note the invoice had. It has the shoe description, and even the seller ebay name. The evidence I have is outstanding and even the seller himself admitted that he had to scam me to get even for his debts and what not. So I even have edvidence of admitting guilt. The seller hasn't responded to the dispute, because he know he was caught. I told him paypal reversed the fund( which they did), and told him to give me a refund and he said he well. He sounded scared because I said the money from the case is going to get taken out his bank account and make him in debt. He said he dont wont to mess up his credit. I told him once I get my money I well ship the item back out to him, and close the case. Do you have any advice I can take at this moment, the case is being treated as a regular case and I will win espically if they ask me for edvience, but what happens when he dont respond in the 10 days? Will they still ask me for edivedence or just turn the case in my favor

thamks

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Not totally sure you will win the dispute as paypal normally don't bother with gift payments but you may get lucky.

Also if you have filed for item received but not as described and say they are a fake then normally paypal ask for proof of them being fake so hopefully you have still got the proof the seller emailed you.

You talk in dollars so are you or the seller in the U.S?

If it was a UK transaction if no luck with paypal i would advise trading standards and/or small claims.

All you can do is keep an eye on the dispute and respond to anything promply and hopefully things may work out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

gaming_guru123
Contributor
Contributor

You im from the US. I just cant post in the US forum. 

I understand what you are saying about personal payments dont get a dispute, but im one of the only cases that got through with the dispute expert and they put a escalated claim for me. I can't find anyone that actually got through with a dispute for this claim, but I so greatful I did.

Also the dispute itself is just like any other one I was in, same layout and everything. It says item is significantly not as describe and even have the notes the expert put in. The one thing that actually prove this is not a typical friend or family payment is the note the invoice had. It has the shoe description, and even the seller ebay name. The evidence I have is outstanding and even the seller himself admitted that he had to scam me to get even for his debts and what not. So I even have edvidence of admitting guilt. The seller hasn't responded to the dispute, because he know he was caught. I told him paypal reversed the fund( which they did), and told him to give me a refund and he said he well. He sounded scared because I said the money from the case is going to get taken out his bank account and make him in debt. He said he dont wont to mess up his credit. I told him once I get my money I well ship the item back out to him, and close the case. Do you have any advice I can take at this moment, the case is being treated as a regular case and I will win espically if they ask me for edvience, but what happens when he dont respond in the 10 days? Will they still ask me for edivedence or just turn the case in my favor

thamks

Login to Me Too

gaming_guru123
Contributor
Contributor

Also im a verfied premier meb=mber with years of paypal expericence while the seller is unverfied. I told the dispute expert that when you pay through a phone from a email, it dosent ask you do you want to pay in gift, or personal goods, its just pay for the invoice, so its really not my fault

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.