Help with Preventing Ebay Chargebacks

Pinkglue
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am a veteran eBay seller (since '99) and have been using PayPal for a very long time.

Within the past year I have had two chargebacks - one from the US which I was able to argue sucessfully and one more recently from Mexico which I just lost.

Despite my best efforts as a seller, fraud still happens and the Paypal information on how to protect ourselves from chargeback is horribly insufficient. My question is: once you make a sale on eBay, can you cancel the transaction if the buyer paid through Paypal but the Seller Protection is not offered on the sale? I never thought twice about it in the past, but now that this has happened twice I need to do something.

SInce eBay and Paypal are one, shouldn't eBay have an option to prevent buyers who aren't covered from Seller Protection from bidding? 

It seems like if I cancel a transaction after it sells for this reason I will lost points that go towards my Top Rated Seller status.

This all makes me not want to sell on eBay anymore and I have never felt this way before. Completely disheartening. And I was such a great seller who just did occasional selling to make room in the house. I imagine for bigger sellers these chargebacks are even worse.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Godfathers
New Community Member

I can totally sympathize with you.  I'm a vet seller 2003 and feel completely set aside by ebay and paypal - it seems the buyer is first.  As the seller the money is deducted and questioned asked later...then you're stripped for you seller stats because they've changed the rules...I'm dishearten as well.  Ebay nor Paypal hear anything - they only hear $...So -What they'll hear from me now is less of my sales.....I've decided to take my sales elsewhere and put my money to work for me - I have started developing my own website just this past August 2014.  Godfathers

Login to Me Too

Unfairpractices
Contributor
Contributor
2 chargeback a year? I got 2 chargebacks every week for many months this year
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.