Empty parcel, no textbooks, just packing bubbles >.<

Lilly2
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered a textbook bundle directly from a publisher, but when the box arrived it only contained packing material. So technically the seller does have tracking information stating they mailed me a package and delivery confirmation. The only real saving grace (I hope) is that on the publisher's website it states the textbook bundle weighs 13+ pounds and the UPS tracking information states the box weighed 2.8 pounds when it was shipped. Will that be enough proof to substantiate my claim that I did not receive the textbooks and software that I ordered? 

I totally realize the "my box arrived empty" claim is wicked dodgy and some people take advantage of it, but I'm genuinely at a loss here. How do you prove you didn't receive something? I do have proof (order confirmation/shipment update) that I purchased a new bundled set of books. Will that help my case in addition to the weight being dramatically lower than it should have been according to the UPS shipping info? 

How long does it usually take for ebay to settle a claim after both parties have responded and Paypal has begun the review process?  I had to purchase another bundled set of books/software in order to prepare for the exam we have in our first class next week and to complete my assignments/prepare for the first lab.I obviously didn't budget $850 on textbooks for one class and am anxious to find out if I'm likely to have to eat the cost. Thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to provide regarding this issue.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Since cellphone camera technology has evolved so much it is wise to film a video about opening a parcel, film that parcel is unopened and also show all addres information and the tracking number. Then open the parcel and if it is empty then you have good proof. For me there have been couple transactions where the product has been defective, I have film the entire opening and quick testing (in one take) which has shown that the product does not work. I have notified seller and provided a link to the video. Seller has refunded me quickly since he/she has no hope winning the dispute. However, even without proof PayPal generally sides with buyer, sometimes this of course causes rage for sellers since PP dispute process can be exploited pretty easily, based on stories atleast. If you have some kind of proof that of course helps a lot.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

File a SNAD case with PayPal.  

Do not file an IRN case as you would lose that because you did receive something according to tracking, except that what was received significantly differs from what was described, an empty box, so choosing the correct case type to file is important.

Read the User Agreement carefully on how to proceed with a SNAD dispute, about the resolution process, and the requirements needed to receive buyer protection:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

Good luck.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

yes,file item not as described (not item not received ) on Ebay,not Paypal,since it is an Ebay transaction.

If it is $750 or more(total payment),it should have signature confirmation,did you sign for the package?

The seller can lose the dispute if it is not signed for,but first try file with empty package.

You can also call Ebay customer service and talk to a rep and ask what is the best approach.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

File with Ebay first,if you win,Ebay will send you a return label and make the seller pays the cost of return shipping while with Paypal,you pay return shipping.

you will be returning an empty box as sent 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Just curious,what kind of publisher is this seller?

No one is more anxious to rid the books for money as the book publisher,there are plenty of books to rid of.

This guy should not be allowed to sell on EBAY,report him and neg him.  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your first action should be to notify the seller.  Most reputable businesses will accommodate a solution.

Did you contact the seller business?

PayPal is only a backup plan if all else fails.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.