Craigslist sale. Buyer says she paid. possible scam/fraud?

500dirtroads
New Community Member

A women contacted me to purchase my wedding dress on craigslist, and pay via paypal.  All fine and dandy, except she said she paid, but my paypal account says the invoice has not been paid, but "paypal" sent me an email that expect is fraudulant.

Merchant

Thank you for using PayPal for your online auctions. We at PayPal are ensuring that all our customers and auction site are fraud free.
We just want to let you know that we are yet to confirm shipment, as the item has not been posted yet. Kindly get back to us as soon as the item is posted, so that we can confirm shipment and the money will be credited with the sum of $1.200.00 USD into your account immediately.
In our efforts to secure our merchants, We are now receiving payments for items that are to be shipped internationally through our secure server. This is to ensure that the seller and buyer do their responsibility in every transaction we handle.
We have now received and confirmed payment from Melissa Rochester.This payment of $1,200.00 USD is currently pending to be credited into your account due to the security measures we have taken. You are now required to ship out the item and send us the shipment reference number for verification of shipment. As soon as we have verified the shipment which normally takes about 24 hours, your account will be credited with the full payment. This security methods have been taken due to fraudulent sellers,

We await the shipment reference number for verification so we can credit your account immediately,send the reference number to us on our mail at ___________ and please note that you are advised not to send out the shipment reference number to the buyer until we have verified the shipment and credited your account.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team.

Is this a scam?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or if the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you. They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

smoreno0962
New Community Member

Yes <removed> is a scam she was purchasing a dress claims that money does not show up on your paypa lbecause she is from a different country or "security reasons" . She claimed to be in Gods path and disabled also shed recently lost a daughter. It' s crazy how far scammers are willing to go. Just hoping to save someone out there ! Lost my dress and 70 $ but luckily i googled and made calls to paypal before wiring any more money. I was a first time seller on paypal and wasnt familiar with the process, LESSON LEARNED.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.