Confirm PayPay Moblie Not Working

JoelWatkins
New Community Member

I am using Google Voice.  I am not receiving text messages from PayPal's Confirm Mobile Number.   How do I make this work?

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

PayPal_Ashley

Hi @JoelWatkins,

Regrettably, mobile confirmation is not compatible with Google Voice at this time. 😞

We have no plans for expansion to announce at this time, but feedback is always accepted. 🙂

-Ashley

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

dandj
New Community Member

As an industry leader I would expect PayPal to more agressively support mainstream technologies.

Login to Me Too

timnsarah
New Community Member

My husband and I are U.S. citizens but we spend part of the year overseas. The only phone numbers that my husband and I use year-round are our Google Voice numbers. When we are overseas, we use a local SIM and when we return to the USA we use a prepaid T-Mobile or StraightTalk number. It would be appreciated if PayPal would reconsider their policy so as to include Google Voice numbers.

Login to Me Too

mufasa72
New Community Member

Please prioritize this feature. Google voice, which is now integrated into Google Hangouts, provides features that are not available from my actual carriers; the most important of which is  viewing my SMS's on-line . This allows me to perform TFA without having to rely on my phone.

Additionally, Google Voice serves as an abstraction layer to all of my devices. I have not had to use my actual phone number for years until setting up PayPal TFA. It took me about 10 minutes just to figure out where to get one of my real phone numbers.

Thanks for providing a fantastic service! But you can make it better 🙂

Login to Me Too

dmcgaffey1
New Community Member

+1 for Google Voice support. What is it about the service that prevents Paypal from sending sms over this data stream? A policy-wide refusal to utilize common utilities seems counterproductive and illogical.

If paypal will not enable SMS through Voice, perhaps this alternative: stop asking to validate my phone number if you cannot support my phone!

thanks.

Login to Me Too

JollyRen
Contributor
Contributor

I also live abroad for a good portion of the year, along with my wife. We need to be able to link a device in the app, not just on the website (says it is linked because I can send the verification to my phone and get the sms from the website, but not in the app on my phone - but it is not linked).

This is vital. Not just a great what if.

on an associated note: Remove the stupid rule that you need to have the same country code as the paypal account that was created.

Login to Me Too

Geoffreyian
New Community Member

I stumbled onto this old posting.

I am living in Malaysia and am using a Google Voice number.

The number works well for customer support phone verification.

Unfortunately, the PayPal website does not show me this number in the verification portal under "please select a phone munber" scrolldown.

My old Skype number used to apper there.  I wonder why not Google Voice.

Login to Me Too

dpk00
New Community Member

Agreed, please support Google Voice.  You risk losing customers if that is still your primary focus...

Login to Me Too

SilverlightPony
New Community Member

Guys, the issue at present is that Paypal (along with a lot of other companies) uses short-code numbers instead of full phone numbers for their SMS services, and Google Voice does not fully support shortcodes.  They recently added limited shortcode support, but not everything works with it yet (and apparently PayPal is still in the "not working" category).

While it would be nice if PayPal used a proper phone number for this kind of thing, it's more Google Voice's problem than it is PayPal's.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.