Can virtual goods be charged back at any time?

salabang
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold a virtual good to a person about 6 months ago. This was an account on a game online. From what I understand these kinds of items are not protected by Paypal's seller protection. So if, for example, he makes a claim that it wasn't him who purchased the account or that the account was stolen and attempts to chargeback, will I be protected? For example if he gets bored of the account and wants his money back is there any way he can take it from me?

Thank you very much

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry, you will not be protected. Casual/personal selling of virtual and digital goods are not protected under PayPal seller protection.

If you are a business and want seller protection, sign up for Digital Products Payment Processing: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/digital-products

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

salabang
Contributor
Contributor
How do charge backs for virtual goods even work then? That doesn't make sense, how could PayPal side with him after 6 months? In what way possible could he get his money back after 6 months past transaction?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

A buyer makes a claim through the credit card that the charge was unauthorized.  PayPal must give the money back to buyer.  Since it is a virtual good, seller looses.  Selling virtual goods is high risk of loss.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.