Buyer's credit card issued a "charge-back" on something he purchased 3 months ago.

SilentTiki
Contributor
Contributor

This is my first post, so I apologize if this is the wrong place.  However, I'm in need of help because I can't get paypal to answer any of my questions or messages.  In fact, they seem to be downright ingnoring me.

Essentially, I sold an item on eBay about 3 months ago.  The entire eBay sale was very smooth, and he even gave me positive feedback shortly after the sale date.  However, 10 days ago I logged into my paypal account and noticed that I was missing $225 from my account.  I even had a negative balance, because I had recently withdrawn my paypal funds to my checking account to help pay bills.  It's also worth noting that paypal never informed me that something went wrong with my funds, nor did they inform me that I had something I need attending to in my resolution center.  Luckily, I watch my money like a hawk and login to paypal daily.

I quickly got back with the buyer, within eBay's messaging center, and the buyer said that someone stole his credit card that he uses for eBay purchases.  So the credit card issued a "charge-back" on every transaction that the card was a part of.  I don't exactly buy this, but that's what he said.  So I added information, to the resolution center, and took screen captures of everything I thought was important.  Including the transaction details and the buyer's positive feedback that he left.

However, paypal hasn't done anything to reply back to me.  I'm still missing my money, and I've sold enough stuff on eBay that I now have a positive balance again.  (All of $9.92.  Whoop-de-friggin-do.)  So what do I have to do to get my $225 back into my account?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SilentTiki

If its a chargeback via a buyers credit card rather than a paypal dispute then its the card company that decide the outcome.

If they find in their account holders favour then that person is reimbursed.

HOWEVER you would not lose out either AS LONG AS YOU MET ALL the requirements of seller protection eg selling on a business account, sending the item trackable etc etc.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SilentTiki
Contributor
Contributor

I just don't like knowing that I can do everything correctly and still have my funds held, essentially indefinitely, without having any ability to do anything.  I've had enough negative experiences with paypal, while still keeping 100% positive eBay feedback, that I'm probably just going to close my account and try other options once this is settled.  It's very unprofessional for a business to basically take the buyer's side on nearly every transaction, never reply back to emails/phonecalls, and have to sign up to the forum in order to get help.  Even still, I'm not getting help by paypal.  I'm getting helped by good samaritans like yourself.  So it's left me with a bad taste in my mouth knowing I've done everything in my ability to settle this on my end.  Yet still not be assured my money will ever make its way back into my account if they don't care to help.

Even if they do give my money back, who knows when that will be?  A month, 2 months, never?  There's no way of knowing.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SilentTiki

ok

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

c06u
Contributor
Contributor

This type of Activity has been going on for a long time, PayPal has done nothing to curb it, it is time for a class action suit?

I too have been stung $400.00 payapl does not respond and you are guilty until YOU prove yourself innocent in Pay Pal court, proof of delivery, positive feedback received, email from the buyer saying he has no problem with the item means ZIP, once the buyer gets the ball rolling on a dispute you are toast!

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is unusual for PAYPAL not sending out email when a chargeback is filed,did you check your spam folder or may be you have deleted it by mistake.

When a case is filed,you will find it in the resolution center of your account and you have x number of days to submit documents which Paypal will forward to the cc issuer.

It is hard to fight unauthorised transaction ,the cc owner is basically saying it aint me using the credit card .

If he has filed a dispute with Paypal ,and you said you have submitted all the proof that he left you feedback,Paypal has ways to verify where he is coming from to make payment,you could win the dispute.

But with a chargeback,it is his cc issuer who decides and they dont place much value on feedback.

sorry for your loss,but when i was reading the new terms effective october 19,2016,Paypal explains in plain English what happens when someone file unauthoise use of their cards,may be you can see what protections do you get from Paypal? 

Vaguely I recall as long as you prove you have shipped to the address on the payment notice,you are covered,but then this could have changed or I could have been misled as it has never happen to me,not yet at least.

look up the revised agreement,it is very lengthy but esy to understand  

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

However, paypal hasn't done anything to reply back to me.  I'm still missing my money, and I've sold enough stuff on eBay that I now have a positive balance again.  (All of $9.92.  Whoop-de-friggin-do.)  So what do I have to do to get my $225 back into my account?

-------------------

so the case is not decided yet? BY HIS CC ISSUER?

GO READ THE NEW /REVISED TERMS ON Paypal site,what doe sit say about unauthorised use of cc.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.