Buyer "Unauthorized charge" on item.

burritoboy9984
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I sold a pair of headphones on a site. The buyer (lives in Canada, I'm in Texas) paid via gift, I sent the headphones out via UPS, they get there he doesn't want to pay the brokerage fee (over half the price of the headphones). We negotiate what we both think is fair for a refund, negotiations break down and he files an "Unauthorized charge" claim. How can I win this? Any advice? It cost me $40 to ship it there, and it will cost me $40 to get them back, I really don't want to be out $80.

Thanks in advance

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ok you are covered under the Paypal Seller Protection Plan for unauthorized transaction charges.

Per the user agreement all you have to do is ship to the address provided and have proof of shipping, you do not need proof of delivery

c. Unauthorized Transactions Additional Requirements:

• The payment must be marked “eligible” for PayPal Seller protection on the Transaction Details Page.
  • You must provide Proof of Shipment or Proof of Delivery.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&fli=true&loc.... Protection for Sellers.

Login to Me Too

burritoboy9984
Contributor
Contributor

The payment was a gift, so I am not elligable for seller protection. Not sure how it works for gifts, guess we will see what happens in the long run. I'll update when I find out.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If the paypal payment was marked as a "gift" then you will probably lose the dipute.

If the package was just marked as a gift, then Paypal will not know and you should win the dispute.

Also if you did mark the package as a gift, don't do it any more, it is a federal crime to do so when it is not a gift.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.