Buyer purchased wrong item, now wants original amount back (item + shipping cost)

shezi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

A buyer purchased from an item (item cost about 60 USD + shipping cost about 30 USD = total 90 USD).

After I sent the item to the buyer, the buyer sent me a message and told me the purchase was a mistake and he wants to cancel it. I told him that I already sent the item. But I also told him as soons as he receives the item, he can return it to me and I will give him the refund.

Now the buyer has received the item, but he wants that I also refund him the shipping cost of 30 USD.
The buyer also started on Paypal a claim stating "Item Not as described" and wants back the original amount of the purchase. So the value of the item plus the shipping cost.

What should I do? I'm ready to refund him the value of the item (60 USD). But I don't think I have to refund him the shipping cost of 30 USD too, as it's a mistake of the buyer.

What do you think I can do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi shezi

Since a case as been opened you will have to give the buyer a full refund(cost + shipping costs) upon receipt of the item, thats how paypal work

I hope you stated on the case the buyer said it was purchased in error? and it was as described

Is it a private sale or Ebay sale?

Login to Me Too

shezi
Contributor
Contributor

It was an Ebay sale. I haven't replied to the Paypal claim yet but the options to choose there aren't very satisfying for me. Also there isn't an option to send a message to Paypal.

I can only choose one of these options:

Issue the buyer a refund for the disputed amount of $86.90 USD. The buyer can keep the item(s).
Issue the buyer a refund for the disputed amount of $86.90 USD. The buyer must return the item(s).
Offer the buyer a partial refund in an attempt to close this claim.
Provide proof that the buyer has already been refunded.
Disagree with claim. I would like to provide additional information.

Is there maybe any way to show Paypal the Ebay messages that the buyer sent me? So maybe Paypal could understand this matter better.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Since its been escalated to a claim unfortunately you cant add anything else now

I think your option is now is to refund upon receipt of the item

The buyer obviously changed their mind they will have to foot the return costs unless you're a business seller

Personally I would block them on your blocked bidders list to stop them wasting your time again

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

What did the buyer say was wrong with the item.

Login to Me Too

shezi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advice minty1.

profdata, for a reason on the Paypal claim site, the buyer said "different model".

But I sent him the correct item. The buyer just changed his mind after I sent him the item.
Now he wants to return the item and I should refund him the value of the item (which is okay for me) plus the shipping cost that he paid on the purchase(which I think it's not correct as it is his fault).

Well yeah, seems there isn't much I can do about it.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Welcome all the best with it

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.