Beware of MineCraft Scam!!!

Basilhound
Contributor
Contributor

I am very disappointed with the PayPal Dispute process.  My 8 year old son plays minecraft.  A couple of weeks ago while he was playing, a pop-up asked him if he wanted to upgrade his pack and being an 8 year old he just pressed yes.  It was a $100.00!!!  The payment went through without him going through the usual PayPal process to make a payment.  He does not know the password and there are no automatic payments etc set-up between PayPal and Minecraft.  I wasn't aware that you could even set up an automatic payment on PayPal.  The first I knew of it was an email saying I had paid some guy called Adam a $100 for a Minecraft upgrade.  My son said all he did was click yes, and it all went through. 

I put in an unorthaurized payment disput and within 2 days of that, the upgrade package that I got charged for from Minecraft disappeared from my son's game.  So now I've lost a $100 and my son hasn't even got the upgrade anymore. 

PayPal obviously contacted the seller, but I was unable to see any of the communication between PayPal and the Seller and I was never given the opportunity to respond to the Sellers claims.  All of a sudden I got an email saying that the dispute was closed and I was not going to get my money back. Also it said that if I want to see the correspondence made by the Seller, then I have to send a written request by land "MAIL" to PayPal in America (I'm in Australia) and they will send a copy to me.  God only know how long all that would take.  Does PayPal not have access to an email account???   Why all the secrecy??  Surely I have a right to see and be able to respond in a dispute case. 

I am really disappointed with the whole process and am wondering if anyone can tell me if you can appeal the desicion made by PayPal?  If you can, how do you do it.  Thanks for any advice.  I am so cranky about the whole thing.  I really thought PayPal was more secure than that. 

I'm thinking about reporting the whole thing to the Australian Media and letting them look into it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been let down by PayPal. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

jrambo
Contributor
Contributor

My Paypal was some how hacked to my business checking account for a charge that I did not make. I went to my Chase bank to submit a dispute and Chase gt me a refund.

How did you pay for this service? It is good idea to use your credit card to pay for it.

You can send  and email and a hard cospy letter  requesting proof from Sellers that you used their service.You can also request their official Address with street name, City, State not just PO Box address. Go to the Better Business Bureau to file a report. Go to major Credit Report Agencies such as Equifax, TransUnion to report this frauddulent act.

Login to Me Too

Basilhound
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks jrambo.  I'll do that.

Login to Me Too

Mikey66
New Community Member

Hi Basilhound - we are in the middle of a very similar dispute. Our son plays Minecraft but denies all knowledge of what we have been chagred for.  Over the last two days we have been charged 8 times, totalling $235.  The process seemed very similar to what you stated.  We are now receiving very unprofessional emails direct from 'Alex' the seller.

I have opened a dispute with Paypal and hope that it works out, but I'm not particularly confident.  Nect step will be to ask the Bank (Paypal connected to our credit card) to get involved. 

It seems all too easy for this to happen.  Did you end up getting the media involved?

Login to Me Too

Basilhound
Contributor
Contributor

Wow over $200 - that's terrible.  Paypal were no help to me but I hope you have better luck.  I didn't think about going to the bank, maybe I should try that. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.