Are protections extended internationally?

MoneyBabe
Contributor
Contributor
I'm a little hesitant sending money to a seller in Italy. The listing states the item gets mailed from Los Angeles. He has 7 transactions in his history so not like he has a where house in LA. If he's a fraud can I get my money back if he's in Italy? Does paypal protect the same if money is sent out of the country? Price is $560.
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Seems very high risk to me.

PayPal can't protect the buyer from poor judgement decisions.

How well do you really know the seller?  Is it from a seller website?  What is the delivery method?  

Claims are never absolute and there are a lot of variables and uncertanty.

Login to Me Too

MoneyBabe
Contributor
Contributor
It's not poor judgement I'm obviously researching and haven't sent the payment yet. The seller is from ebay. I called ebay to inquire. They said he is in good standing and no reason not to do the transaction but I'm a little nervous. He had a buy it now listing with an option to submit an offer. I submitted at $560, he accepted so now it shows I owe the payment to complete the transaction so I don't have much choice but am scared if I'm dealing with a scammer or maybe I'm overreacting. Since I'm obligated to complete the transaction I want to know if I'm protected if I send a payment to Italy and don't receive the item. I can call tomorrow to ask paypal they are closed today.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Best to review the Legal Agreements at the bottom of the page and see if yo comply with all parameters.

PayPal doesn't observe what the seller puts in the package, so there will always be areas where PayPal can't protect; that's way knowing the seller is so important.

Login to Me Too

MoneyBabe
Contributor
Contributor
I've done over a thousand transactions on ebay and can't say that I know a single one of them, let alone know them well. This isn't a friend/family transfer transaction.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is an Ebay transaction,you are protected by Ebay buyer protection ,since you will use Paypal ,you are also protected by Paypal buyer protection.

If you do not receive the item or item is not as described,you will file with Ebay first,if you are not happy with the result,then file with PAYPAL,if not happy with Paypal,file with your credit card issuer/

Ebay expects the seller to pick up return shipping if item is not as described,but it is hard to enforce such with international sellers,so bear in mind you could end up paying for return shipping  and it would have to be trackable online and shows delivered.

Italy postal system is pathetic,so you may have to use a private carrier which would cost you,even if you use USPS ,to get tracking in Italy,you may have to pay more like USPS priority express intl?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I just read the item will be shipped out of LA,then you need to be assured ,if item not as described,you can return it to LA and not Italy.

Ebay may be able to print you a return label online charged to seller.  

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This seller sounds like drop shipper, big time!  Anyway, lancelotme is right.  eBay money back guarantee (do you see this marked on the listing?) is your first go-to, then PayPal, and then credit card so please pay for the item with one!  You should also take the time now to read up on the eBay money back guarantee terms and PayPal Buyer Protection terms so you are prepared, in case youknowwhat happens.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MoneyBabe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answers.

What is a drop shipper?

Thanks, I do see Money Back Guarantee listed. It's hard to see all these things from a tiny phone screen but I'm on my desktop at work now. I had called Ebay yesterday to inquire, and the rep kept telling me to contact Paypal about any refund that might need to take place should the item not get delivered/delivered incorrectly.

I guess a follow up question I have is - Would I have the same protection using my paypal balance as I would using a credit card through PayPal?

I now see from my desktop that there were 5 phones on this auction and it says all are sold out, so at least I'm not in this alone - we should all get the same result.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shipping

A seller can be located in Italy in your case but lists/sells merchandise that is located in the USA or any other country to sell to customers in those countries locally.  People are a hustlin' these days.

If you used your balance instead of funding the buy with a credit card completely, then no.  If you partially funded the buy with a credit card, then that portion on the card is protected under issuer terms.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.