Advice Nitro R.C car

Spg1988
New Community Member
Hi all...just sold a nitro r.c car through a FACEBOOK GROUP and received payment via my paypal...i dont sell items often and i advertised this car in good faith and discussed with the buyer the only issue that i knew of and i provided a receipt stating this. The buyer now says there are problems with the car (i didnt realise this or i would have not sold the r.c car before repair) and it doesnt run (i know for a fact it runs just fine as i have only just had it set up and various parts replaced at my local shop...the buyer is requesting a partial refund...but as i say, i could find nothing wrong with the car when i sold it....do i have to issue a refund? Will paypal make me pay a refund?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This would be a case of item not as described and Paypal will ask him to return the item for a full refund.

He will have to  pay for return shipping.

Yo can also offer a partial refund for repair ,but I would just take the item back.

Login to Me Too

Spg1988
New Community Member
Ok, thanks for that....also....he has already taken the car apart (i.e taken bits off the car) so to be honest, surely he cannot prove that he hasnt broken these bits whilst taking them off....i dont want to be awkward with the guy but if i saw something was faulty/broken then i would send it back...not take it apart then say its broken....
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

No one has seen the car so no way to tell who is right.

When he returns the item with tracking , Paypal robot will refund him,you can appeal,but the money is gone already.

Just try to tell him Paypal expects himto return in original condition and he has taken it apart,it is no longer in original condition but you are willing to offer a partial refund so he can continue to tinker with some expert local help,

Just be nice ,you are saving him money to return the car and offer a partial refund.   

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Suggest you negotiate the best deal with the buyer for a partial refund.  It's very likely the bes outcome you can get.

It's important understand PayPal resolution process and also understand how internet sales works and the risks involved for both buyer and seller.  There ARE risks.

In this specific case, if you don't settle with a partial refund, the buyer is likely to file a dispute for not as described.  It will be up to you the seller to PROVE beyond a resonable doubt that it did work upon delivery; this is unlikely to work in your favor.  The buyer will attempt to show to PayPal that it didn't work.  PayPal will then determine who is telling the truth.  Since this is a used electronic item, I expect that PayPal will rule that it is likely that the buyer is telling the truth.

Now the buyer will be required to return the item with paid tracking.  Upon receipt, PayPal will take your funds and return to the buyer.  It will have cost the buyer shipping both ways and buyer will not have the item.  You will have your item returned, but in-unsellable condtion, meaning you have LOST the value of the item.

You can hope that the buyer doesn't want to risk losing postage so the buyer gives up and you're OK.

On the other hand, the buyer may file a displute with credit card; in that case the buyer will get the refund AND get to keep the item.

What do do?

Do a risk analysis and choose the option which is the least risk to your business.

My guess is that a partial refund will be your best option and also close the door on the deal most quickly.

It's all about risk analysis and risk aversion, not about fairness.  That's the way business works.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If he hasn't yet filed a dispute, you can settle much more easily with the buyer so a dispute filing is not necessary.  Keep copies of all emails as you negotiate a settlement.

Or wait for a dispute.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.