synchrony bank (paypal smart connect) ruined my credit

buckl12
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing but problems with smart connect.   Everytime I go to pay thru paypal and I hit the make payment under smart connect account I am redirected to a blank page stating session ended. you have been logged out please login again.  Finally had contact syncrony bank from phone # on back of card and had to pay with echeck.  So I have not used smart connect to my knowledge again.  Applied for home refi Thurs. and broker said I didn't qualify that there were three months of dings from synchrony bank and that the account has been closed.  Sat. I rec. a statement from paypal smart connect in the mail.  Under cardholder news and info. it says:  you have been unenrolled from electronic statement delivery.  I need to get a letter of deletion to regain my credit.  I feel like I have been scammed.  Any suggestions on how I should contest this.  And from Paypal or synchrony bank.  Thanks

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you ever use your card for credit?

Did you ever actually use credit from Synchrony Bank?

If so, have you ever been late with a payment?

Login to Me Too

buckl12
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations wrote:

Did you ever use your card for credit?  Never used physical card

Did you ever actually use credit from Synchrony Bank?  Yes when linked to paypal account.

If so, have you ever been late with a payment?  No.  was a real hassle but finally paid by phone and using a check

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

With 3 months of "dings" on your credit report, it implies you had three moenths of issues with Syncrony bank.  What were those issues?

Have you looked at your credit report to analyze the  details?

When you are declined credit, the company is required to give you a copy of the report, but you must ask for it.

It seems like some research and investigation is needed.

Login to Me Too

buckl12
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations wrote:

With 3 months of "dings" on your credit report, it implies you had three moenths of issues with Syncrony bank.  What were those issues?   The three dings were identical $35, $35, $35

Have you looked at your credit report to analyze the  details?  thirty days late, 60 late, 90 late, and closed account.  No communication whatsoever with Synchrony Bank until I rec. statement Sat.

When you are declined credit, the company is required to give you a copy of the report, but you must ask for it.

It seems like some research and investigation is needed.  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

So you were late with payments.  Such deliquencies will be reported to credit agencies.  Deliquencies would make you high risk for a new loan. 

Login to Me Too

buckl12
Contributor
Contributor

What do you work for the bank?  I did not run up these charges.  I was not notified that I owed or was late on payments.  I only learned of this when my credit report was run.  If fact, credit karma just sent a warning that my credit was changed.  I do need to look at when synchrony bank put those three dings in- just recently and all at once?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If Synchrony Bank or whatever credit account you had never sent you any message or statement for review, then you need to address that with Synchrony Bank.   You need to investigate with Synchrony Bank to find out why you didn't get a statement showing the charges.

Login to Me Too

buckl12
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal sent the paypal smart connect card.  I didn't ask for it.  I thought the card was part of paypal which I trusted and respected.  Paypal provided the link to pay which never worked.  I have been a loyal paypal customer and I thought I could get some cooperation from paypal.  Am I the only person having trouble with this scam bank that paypal associated itself with?  When I first attempted to pay I visited a site with hundreds of complaints about smart connect and synchrony bank.  So you say it's not a paypal issue it is a synchrony bank issue?  I guess I will have to resolve this issue another way.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What was the original $35 charge?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.