Why won't PayPal credit work?

Tarawa
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using Bill me later for years and I had to link my account to a PayPal account to use it on various sites. I've done that and the account shows in my PayPal summary page and it's listed as the default payment but when I try to use it as a payment method I get this

Return to merchant and try a different payment method

We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the merchant's website and try using a different payment method (if available).

Why? This is happening on all sites I try to pay with PayPal credit. Best Buy, Walmart, Ebay...

Login to Me Too
44 REPLIES 44

PayPal_Nicole

Hi Tarawa,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Community Help Forum.

This does sound frustrating, but it may be due to the profile you have stored with the specific merchant (s).  The information stored in the merchant profile may be different from what is listed in your PayPal Credit profile.

Our Customer Support team would be happy to review your PayPal Credit account with you to ensure all the information on file is up to date.  They can be reached at 866-528-3733.

Thank you,
Nicole
PayPal Credit
Login to Me Too

Tarawa
Contributor
Contributor

It happens when I check out as Guest as well. I'll call in the morning, I guess.

Login to Me Too

calliejo
New Community Member

ive called them 5 times about this same issue. I have tried to buy off of ebay and best buy & it will not go thourgh and is giving me the same response. did you get this figured out? i also was checking out as a guest!

Login to Me Too

Oculusdizz
New Community Member
I got approved a $600 credit and it won't let me buy anything. When I try to purchase something it says return to merchant and try a different payment method, I don't need to try a different payment because I was credited this $600 for applying
Login to Me Too

scotmixer1
Contributor
Contributor
I got the EXACT same message! I was approved too, but can't use a penny of it! Why give someone a credit line and then not allow them to use it?! To **bleep** with this **bleep**!
Login to Me Too

Natsknacks
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Nicole wrote:

Hi Tarawa,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Community Help Forum.

This does sound frustrating, but it may be due to the profile you have stored with the specific merchant (s).  The information stored in the merchant profile may be different from what is listed in your PayPal Credit profile.

Our Customer Support team would be happy to review your PayPal Credit account with you to ensure all the information on file is up to date.  They can be reached at 866-528-3733.

I have tried repeatedly and it will not work no matter what payment method I use! To make matters worse, I asked the person I was trying to send money to, to send an invoice so that it would allow me to pay them.  But apparently they are receiving error messages when trying to send an invoice as well!  I have read all the posts and no one is getting this issue resolved.  Has PayPal been hacked or something?  This is a major "glitch" and I am not sure how I could possibly continue using them if they won't LET me!!

Login to Me Too

Cmorris12
New Community Member
This has been happening to me to. They said it was a security issue with payments and the orders I'm trying to put in seem different than my normal ones so they system declines them... But I just created my Paypal account and have YET to even purchase anything because that keeps popping up.
Login to Me Too

xavi21
New Community Member
same here I called 10 mins ago they told me it was a security problem and asked me 5 multipe choice questions involving my residency and ssn...then they told me to wait 5 minutes and my credit would work and still nothing instea I get this you have insufficient funds or go back to merchant message but I have never purchased anything and I got approved for credit yesterday so what is the problem...
Login to Me Too

Bpaxton
New Community Member

I've been with PayPal for ages.. Got a PayPal Credit account for the various benefits, and it seemed

to work fine throughout the past few years.  Then all of a sudden, after never being late, I am unable to

make purchases through both eBay and Godaddy using my Credit line - simply won't process and I get

the same error as already described. Most frustratingly, I've been on the phone with Paypal on multiple

occasions, probably spent hours on hold, talking, making changes and so forth, and it STILL DOES NOT WORK.

ONE thing seemed to have triggered my experience.. Although always paying the account using my linked

checking account, I decided to send them a cashier's check for the balance in full. Once my balance reached

zero, it was all she wrote.

Giving them one last chance for the mere sake of saving a long lasting relationship, but perhaps Paypal

has jumped the shark and it's time to move on for me..

Sad and frustrated at this poor service..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.