Why is the PayPal Student Account being discontinued?

PayPal_Drew

Hi Community!

If you are new, thanks for coming to the community forums to understand more about what's happening with the Student Accounts. Feel free to check out any of the other articles while you're here!

We are aware that this may be an inconvenience for some, so we'd like to thank you for understanding the change. Below are some common questions that we have received. If you have any additional questions, please reply to this thread and the community can respond to you.

Why is the PayPal Student account being discontinued?

PayPal has decided to close PayPal Student Accounts and PayPal Student Debit MasterCards on the following dates:

• Effective September 29, 2016, PayPal Student accounts will no longer be able to make purchases online.
     • Effective September 29, 2016, the PayPal Student Debit MasterCard® card, and related services, will be closed.
     • Effective November 15, 2016, the PayPal Student account will be closed.

What happens to the money in the Student account balance?

Any money that is not spent from the Student account prior to November 15, 2016, will be moved to the student’s parent’s PayPal account. The student account will no longer be able to make purchases effective September 29, 2016. You will still be able to send and withdraw money until November 15, 2016.

Is there a replacement product?

At this time, we aren’t introducing a replacement for PayPal Student Accounts and PayPal Student Debit MasterCards. We will continue to explore ways to serve our younger population in the future. If the student is over 18 years old, we invite them to sign up for a PayPal account so they can enjoy the benefits PayPal offers, such as sending, receiving, and spending money online and in-stores. We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience.

Because the Community Forum isn't actively monitored by our Customer Service team, please reach out to us via phone if you require immediate assistance. You can do this by visiting the "Help & Contact" link on any PayPal webpage, selecting "Call Us", and continue as a guest if you're not logged in to your account. 

If this post is helpful, please accept it as a solution or provide kudos. 

Thanks! 

- Drew

Login to Me Too
157 REPLIES 157

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PYPL is a publicly traded company now,its stock is around $41,up from high 30s.

Paypal does not have to explain every move it makes to its customers,some you can find the answer in its annual report,10k or 10q,some you can ask at the annual shareholder meeting.

But I heard they have something better in the work?

Just think what you do as parent  before Paypal.

We are flexible and adapt to change,if we dont have bread,we eat cake!!!!!

Login to Me Too

jbrookstx
New Community Member

So basically this article just says the reason why they discontinued the student paypal account was that they decided to. Not why Paypal made that decision. Boo paypal. You could do a better job putting the reason behind your decision forward. This was a useful service and easy to use to get money to my kids. 

Login to Me Too

Cmc5
Contributor
Contributor

Horrible decision. lost my enthusiasim for Paypal.  FAILURE.

Closing my account.

Login to Me Too

Bilgey
New Community Member

Companies spend millions and millions trying everything and anything they can to cajole and coax in new customers--goofing up the airwaves in Barbarian Viking gear, parading out talking geese or geckos or pigs and whatnot, and here PayPal just tosses who knows how many already-existing and potential lifelong customers into the dumpster with no real explanation...just some non-explanatory "it was decided." 

Well, OK then...My kid'll be eighteen in 2 weeks.  Guess we've decided we'll just be sticking with Capitalone360.

Bye Bye forever PayPalWell played!

Login to Me Too

stihlfixing
Contributor
Contributor

And today Dec 16, 2016, when I googled "paypal student account", this page popped up:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/student 

Old page on their site that they did not even bother to delete? Or they allow the student account again?

These idiots are so losers.

And let see what you Mr Shill would say.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PAYPAL said they are developing something bigger and better?

Login to Me Too

JujuBee22
Contributor
Contributor

My problem today is Paypal explained they would close all accounts by November 15th, so to get our affairs in order, and any remaning balances in these accounts would be transferred into the primary account. I did this, and stopped the automatic weekly transfer into my HS son's account and my college daughter's account before November 15th, 2016. Today there is still $90 in it and every week it is transferring the automatic amount I set. I was unaware.

Needless to say to this choir, but it has been a complete nightmare to revert back to how we did it before Paypal Student accounts. We even had one day in December when my daughter was stranded on a highway two states away without any ability for me to transfer money as quickly as I could have for her to pay the towtruck driver. She could have used her student Paypal instantly. THAT is what paypal messed up. THAT is what Paypal didn't understand and appreciate about this particular product. They ingeniously were one of the only companies set up in a way that could make THAT possible for parents in our country, and they undervalued it when collaborating this matter in their corporate offices.

That same early December afternoon, we opened up another account with a new company that has an iPhone app which looked like it would be able to accomplish the same thing. (I have a question for all of you about this new product at the end of my post.....) I transfered the money she needed, and we found out it within 10 minutes that it would take 3-5 days for her to receive it and be able to use her checking account debit card!!! She was completely stranded and had to wait for local or state police to help her. This delay in receipt was not clear in their explanations, but they will never be able to do it instantaneously the way Paypal could because of being more or less an outside courier between our bank and hers. (Holding checking accounts at the same bank would be a solution for some, but we have a very significant reason we can't leave ours, and we didn't want our children ever doing business with them so opened their accounts at another bank. Our bank lost all future business for our family when they broke the law with our mortgage and got a way with it, hurting the medical care of my family so significantly it would make your head spin. So there are valid reasons out there why some of us families can't do it this way.)

Today my daughter tells me, "Mom? I don't know if you noticed but they are still transferring money into my Paypal student account, and there is about a $90 balance in it." I log in just now and there it is. Nice job Paypal!! I've been struggling to get her money and here is $90 that could have helped her in December when she was stranded!!! You kept the account open but failed to allow her access??? Smooth move. (She tried her student card with the tow truck driver and it was declined.) You made it clear it was going to be transferred back to the primary account and close hers, but you didn't.

I too like all of you was severely disappointed in Paypal not taking a more customer-centered and respectful approach. Their stock may have been up, but that's because of the lack of real competition and it's privilidged inside position within the eBay community. However, competition is real and up & coming, and moves like this is what causes a business to lose it's foothold on it's base for the future, something Amazon understands clearly...and it never loses value in its stock. They know customers come first, and when shareholder's must, they find the right way to appease both. That's good business. Paypal "used to be" the only other company that came close in customer service. Amazon is forging ahead strongly, and Paypal just fell off the tracks.

Asking what we did as a parent before Paypal is not helpful. You never remove what has further advanced society and then tell it's members to not complain, because they survived without it before. As time changes, procedures in a family or a business change with those times and they rely heavily on the current technology either staying the same or improving. Never is it regressed. It's understandable we will become accustomed to the new way of doing things and it becomes the new norm after several years such as Paypal Student Accounts did. I never should be expected to be happy to have to go out and buy a cow, put it in my back yard, and go milk it each morning just so we can eat cereal and have our daily glasses of milk. If suddenly the convenience of our available milk supply were to vanish in thin air, I'd slap the first person who said, "well, how did we all survive before?" It's not easy to revert. Paypal met in it's home offices to discuss how to roll-out this change. I want to slap those employees who supported the notion, "Well, how did they survive before this feature? They can get by. They'll be upset yes, but they'll just go back to doing it like they did before." That was an incredibly destructive business decision and approach. Nobody, least of all Paypal, simply reverts to the way they did it before. That is not how advancement of society works. Ever.

As for that new company we joined, we are still using it with constraints and without the convenience of immediate access. Can anyone corroborate what my daughter told me? It is called Venmo, and they cannot do it as easily and immediately as Paypal did. You have to know ahead of time, days ahead, of how much money your kid will need. Your kid also has to have a private bank account in their name with a debit card to access it once it clears. Like I said, a middle-man who is simply a courier. My daughter told me she thought she heard/read that Venmo was owned by Paypal. If this was their "solution", it's another big FAIL. Instant access was what made Paypal Student Accounts great. This new app is the best we can find, and it left my daughter stranded on a major US espressway next to Minneapolis. Is Venmo owned by Paypal? Was this their brilliant idea? Does anyone know?

I look forward to the future competition. Paypal had better fix this quick, or they can sit back and watch their stock plummet.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

May be I am old fashion and backward,why cant parents give their college students a fix amount say for the whole semester and let her learn to manage her money,she has to learn sooner or later.

If not per semester,then per month.

Some day she may not have mom and dad to bail her out,if a college age child knows how to drive and be away from home,she should learn some surviving skills,what if she is stranded someplace,what of she runs out of money,having a car means more expenses,cant dial 911 everytime she is in trouble !

always carry some extra cash when you go someplace,you never know ? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.