What's the process of receiving payment for an item I sold via PayPal

Waterbury2_
New Community Member
I just opened an account with PayPal to sell my Mac pro. I posted on Craiglist then a buyer sent a msg stating he wants to buy it just needs my PayPal email name and then a tracking number from the post office once I've spent $60-$70 of my own money to ship it. And only after I obtain that tracking number will the funds that were already deducted from his account be released to mine. I was sent some emails that was supposed to be from PayPal stating that I had to complete transactions above be for I received funds he sent is this a scam or what
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Waterbury2_

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Waterbury2_
New Community Member
That's what I thought thank you
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Selling a Mac Pro on the internet is high risk.  Selling on Craigs List is high risk.  Put the two together and you are likely to lose your Mac Pro and have no money!  

Suggest you click on the "legal agreements" link at the bottom of the page and read AND understand PayPal policies and terms of use, paying special attention to what can be sold and the protection provided by PayPal.  Make sure you underand ALL of the requirements for seller protection.

After that, then spend a month following the forum so you know all the details of how to proceeed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.