Use Business Debit with no PayPal balance?

iDragon
Contributor
Contributor

I have a bank account linked to my paypal Business debit card as a back up source. This should allow me to use the card with a zero PayPal balance but it's not working that way. I tried it with a transaction today and it was declined. Is there another step I need to take, or a setting I need to change to allow the transaction? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I am not aware we have to expliciting opt for using bank fund as back up to our Paypal debit card,and I have been using my Paypal debit card as a credit card for many years,probably 13 years,

is this new requirement or a technical glitch,many users are frustrated with using this card in store,both in USA and UK  

Login to Me Too

iDragon
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

Click on the PayPal Debit MasterCard link on your summary page to set a back up funding source for the card specifically in case your PayPal balance is empty or does not have enough to cover your purchase.  Then your PP MC debit card won't be declined.

The backup funding source for the PP MC Debit card settings are separate from the backing sources setting of you PayPal account.

This is the way I have it set up, so I was confused as to why it's not working like PP claims it would.  It would be so much more convienent than waiting days for funds to transfer in. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry there, @iDragon, don't know what the deal is then.  This joint is falling apart. lol

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Jbrightman
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you.
Login to Me Too

tryingcake
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

Click on the PayPal Debit MasterCard link on your summary page to set a back up funding source for the card specifically in case your PayPal balance is empty or does not have enough to cover your purchase.  Then your PP MC debit card won't be declined.

The backup funding source for the PP MC Debit card settings are separate from the backing sources setting of you PayPal account.

Thank you!!  This is exacty what I needed to know.  I lost my debit card to my bank - but I still need to function in the real world.  Waiting up to 14 days for my new debit card will not be as painful now.  

Login to Me Too

tryingcake
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

I just thanked you for this - but nope - it's not working.  I just tried to pay a bill and it was declined for insufficient funds. I have it inked to my bank.  There is a lot more money in my bank than needed.   What might I be doing wrong?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@tryingcake wrote:

@sharpiemarker wrote:

I just thanked you for this - but nope - it's not working.  I just tried to pay a bill and it was declined for insufficient funds. I have it inked to my bank.  There is a lot more money in my bank than needed.   What might I be doing wrong?

OTHER have reported the same problem,it would not access your bank account if there is not enough in your Paypal account,so make sure you have enough in your PAYPAL account.

Login to Me Too

wart
Contributor
Contributor

no - you are doing it just right - paypal is funked up big time right now - been using the card with $0 paypal balance and $0 mastercard available credit for at least 10 years - so every point of sale transaction is debited from my checking account in roughly 3 business days.  but lately - declined - declined - declined - and tonight - on a sunday - declined.....oh, they had a really lame excuses the previous three times i called - which had an average of 20 to 30 minutes hold time - but tonight...and why im on this puking forum.....their office is closed - my card with almost $4000 grand in my checking account declined at the grocery store.  jfc...now im going to start carrying another card.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.