USPS Priority Mail International Package to India

popsi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I shipped a small package via Paypal PMI to India on Nov29, 2016 and used the USPS PMI envelop to mail my package.  My recipient has not recd the package after 4 weeks now and the tracking on USPS from the 3-4 th day has been showing the same status that it has left Jamaica, NY for the destination.  The Indian postal system cannot track this by the tracking# paypal issued me.  After calling USPS and speaking to the supervisor post escalation there I was told that the number issued by Paypal is not a Priority Mail International tracking number but a regular USPS First Class Mail tracking # which apparently, is not trackable.  USPS PMI #s dont start w/ LKxxxxxx I am told but Paypal issued me a LK tracking#.  So, I am SOL with no tracking ability on either end.  Has anyone had this issue before?  Any suggested options?

TIA, popsi

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

USPS priority mail international,there are 2 types,one is the gurantee one which is turned over to Fed Express ,you must go to  a designated post office and fill out 2 papers ,which one did you use? 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

priority mail starts with C.

It is actually the customs clearance number but is trackable.

Login to Me Too

popsi
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal had me fill out the custom paperwork online.  I did not have to go to FedEx.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@popsi wrote:

Paypal had me fill out the custom paperwork online.  I did not have to go to FedEx.

then you just bought the plain jane USPS priority intl,small fixed rate box,and envelope has no tracking once it leaves the country,thats why you see NY as the last stop.

If you have insurance,file insurance claim,check USPS website to see if priority overseas offer some insurance?

the one which is turned over to FED EXP is called USPS priority intl guarantee,it guarantee a certain date of delivery,it must be shipped from a designated post office where Fed Exp driver comes in the late afternoon to pick up the package,sent it to Memphis intl hub ,if it does not arrive by the date they promise you,you get your money back(customs delay is not included,neither is shipping from a non designated post office).

India has high customs duty,as high as 30%,and theft is common or your buyer could be lying.or refuse to accept the package and is now on its way back to you or taken home by the postman.

Login to Me Too

popsi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, for all your responses!  I suspect the package is lost or stolen at the other end since the recepient is my friend at the other end.   I learned something in the bargain!:)  Appreciate your help!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I dont think small priority package is trackable once it leaves USA.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

FLAT RATE PRIORITY  ENVELOPE,SMALL PRIORITY BOX ARE NOT TRACKABLE.

MEDIUM AND LARGE FLAT RATE BOXES DO,PRIORITY EXPRESS DOES.

EITHER YOUR BUYER HAS THE ITEM BUT LIED or it is at customs or stolen,or customs duty is too high.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yeh, those PMI envelope has no tracking.  Had mailed an item with one of those things to Russia right near Christmas time a few years back.  Buyer was very cool but really politely whining about getting me to finding it hehe because it was a rare item and can't it get in their country but there was nothing I could do so I had to refund in full, no dispute was filed.  

I refunded and apologized that there was nothing I can do, etc.  They wrote back and said ok but that if it does arrived, they will send payment.  I didn't hold my breath but then about 10 days later, I suddenly received a PayPal email saying I got payment.. I opened the email to see who send me payment so nice! Smiley Happy  There was a thank you note that the item was received and it was my Russian buyer!  The PMI envelope estimate delivery was 6-10 days, by the time it delivered it was about a month!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

popsi
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to hear this.  I will keep my hopes up..  Appreciate you sharing!:)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.