SSN Confirmation Issues

bubblyskies
Contributor
Contributor

Due to some issues with another website, I decided to use paypal to pay for purchase. Luckily, I had enough in my account to cover said purchase, but I thought if this happened again I should put some more into my paypal balance. It says that I need to confirm my SSN number, but apparently just typing it in isn't good enough? I looked up on Paypal's OFFICIAL website saying it takes the following to confirm your SSN: your card, w2 form, tax return papers OR pay stubs. I have no W2, no tax return form and I'm not comfortable giving someone I don't know a photo of my SSN. So naturally I use pay stubs. This is where the trouble starts. I've taken god knows how many pictures of the same stubs, new stubs, and combinations of the two, and I keep getting different reasons for it being declined. First it was illegible now it's not acceptable due to lack of information. HOWEVER nowhere on the website does it say specifically what part of the stub they need to see. I've sent close ups of the only place where my SSN is, confirmation of address, and the date on it showing it's within the six month period. All have been declined no matter what. 

So with all that I want to know: what do I have to do? I refuse to send someone a photo of a document that allows others to steal my identity and if the constant rejection is some ploy to FORCE me to send a photo of my card well I guess I'll just never add money to my paypal wallet.

Please, just someone tell me what I can possibly do to fix this.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

mplsevan
I don't think that you really answer our questions here. What about a person who lives at home with parents and is claimed as a dependent, therefore is EXEMPT according to the IRS? So, no, it doesn't matter how much I make, my parents claim me, and I add what I make to that- it's all done under my father as Head of Household. Even if I made $100Grand/year, I'd still be under my parents roof as a "Minor" even as an 18-year-old because I am in High School. So, please research your answers before you send something mean to users here as a Volunteer Advisor, I expect more from you.
Login to Me Too

mplsevan
I'm 18 and in high school, so it's not inconsistent--My parents claim me as a DEPENDENT. I have the same issue he has, I don't think it is safe to send those documents either. They have methods for confirming identity that work for Credit Card companies, applying for FAFSA, applying for college loans, so why not for PayPal?
I could buy a house next year, but I can't add money to PayPal. How bass ackwards is this company?
They require proof that's less than 6 months old, yet my parents tax papers are more than 6 months old now! So, half of the year, no one can use tax papers because they're 6+mos old. DUH DUH DUH Another Bass Ackwards rule that was made by some middle managers who take their jobs and the gov't regulations too seriously. I can buy a car, buy insurance (auto, home, life, health), buy a house, sign up for the military, attend college, get a credit card w/ $10,000 limit, make the honor roll in STEM classes while in HS, apply for school loans and grants, have a savings & checking bank account (linked to PayPal), hold a job for 3 years but I CAN'T GET APPROVED TO ADD MONEY TO PayPal!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

find another payment processor,AMZN one click is available,fee is high.

or apply for a merchant account with your local bank or Costco or read ads in local newspaper/

Propay is also an option,most places do want your SS number.

if you dont have a SS card,you can get one in local SS office

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@bubblyskies said-

So with all that I want to know: what do I have to do? I refuse to send someone a photo of a document that allows others to steal my identity and if the constant rejection is some ploy to FORCE me to send a photo of my card well I guess I'll just never add money to my paypal wallet.

Please, just someone tell me what I can possibly do to fix this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you cant or not willing to give them what they asked for,then find another payment processor. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.