Push notifications can't be enabled in iOS app in iOS 8.

Morac
Contributor
Contributor

Push notifications can't be enabled on iOS devices running iOS 8 or higher.

I've had the PayPal iOS app installed on my iPhone 5s and iPad 2 a long time. Long before I updated both devices to iOS 8. Push notifications worked on both. I got an iPad Air 2 which I restored the backup of the iPad 2 on to, but wasn't getting any push notifications. I logged into my Paypal account on the web and saw only my iPad 2 was listed on the push notifications settings web page ( https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=%5fprofile%2ddevice ). I saw my iPad 2 and iPhone 5s listed twice under the mobile devices setting page ( https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/mobileDevice/edit/ ) so I deleted all of them and logged out and back into the app. Nothing showed up on either page from above, so I decided to uninstall the PayPal app and reinstall on both my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2.

After reinstalling the PayPal 5.9.1 iOS app, my devices show up on the mobile devices setting page (2nd link), but not on the push notifications page (1st link) and the app will no longer allow me to enable push notifications on my iPhone 5s or iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.1.2. The app reports that notifications aren't enabled in the iOS settings for the PayPal app and that I need to enable them, but they are already enabled. This is the first time I've reinstalled under iOS 8 and I know the way apps register for push notifications changed in iOS 8 as many apps had issues with push notifications, so my guess is the PayPal app wasn't updated.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Make sure iOS device is running iOS 8 or higher
2. Uninstall app
3. Reinstall app.
4. Go to iOS Settings -> PayPal and make sure notifications are enabled.
5. Open app and Log in.
6. Go to settings -> account

Expected results:
1. Can enable push notifications

Actual result:
1. Setting is disabled with message to enable push notifications for the PayPal app.

The following link describes how to check for notifications being enabled in iOS 8:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/25990240

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

lisafoss
Contributor
Contributor
Frankly, I'd like to know how you got the PayPal app on your iPad 2. All I can find to install is PayPal Here.
Login to Me Too

Morac
Contributor
Contributor
It's very easy. Any iOS app can be installed on an iPad.
Login to Me Too

keyman8950
New Community Member
Same problem here on iPhone 5s. All push notifications are enabled for PayPal in notifications but PayPal app says OFF. Help Plz. Thx
Login to Me Too

LondonFil
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I have got the exact same problem with iOS 8 on my iPhone 6. Any ideas? Many thanks
Login to Me Too

boags
New Community Member

I have the same problem on iphone 6 ios 8.1.2(12B440) Paypal App 5.9.2

no matter what I try it wont re-enable.

I suppose this may be looked at in the year 2015.

Login to Me Too

Morac
Contributor
Contributor
I got an email response saying this would be fixed by the end of the week, but the latest update, 5.9.2, didn't fix it.
Login to Me Too

Morac
Contributor
Contributor
Oddly even though I still can't turn on notifications in the app, I just got a notification.
Login to Me Too

ChrisA62
New Community Member

I've been having the same "push notification" problem, but I've just updated the iPhone app with the latest version - v5 10(302)

And everything seems to be working fine

Merry Christmas!

Login to Me Too

Morac
Contributor
Contributor
It partially works now. It works under the account settings, but going to the show in store settings, it says that showing in store is disabled because push notifications are turned off.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.