Paypal, pay after delivery changed from 14 to 10 days?

sarahurtado84
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed my paypal pay after delivery has changed from 14 days to 10 days just yesterday? Did paypal change it? All my purchases for the last few years have been 14 days, now the past 2 days there all 10 days now?

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@kernowlass

you have to read all the posts in this thread to grasp how they need the system to give them 14 days.

They are not that concerned with protection than to get the stuff they need,it could be as basic as baby powder,detergent,toothpaste,OTC medicine,baby diapers.

Login to Me Too

lulu61
Contributor
Contributor

What you don't seem to grasp is it's not the buyer protection we're concerned with as having the 14 days to pay for our purchases. Those of us that get SS once a month, having 14 days to pay allows us to shop 4 days sooner than we now can. That 4 days is crucial when we're ordering staples, as Whac-a-mole mentioned, because only having 10 days now, means that much longer to wait for the items to be delivered.

Login to Me Too

trippledigitss
Contributor
Contributor

Now that the date has been changed I have had several instances where domestic purchases have not arrived by the time the payment is processed - so "pay after delivery" is not even accurate. Especially with the holiday season many shipments take longer than 2 weeks. In fact, I ordered something from Samsung on 12/18 using PAD and its still not here and has been delayed twice, currently expected on 1/2/18 - so much for 2 business days.

Anyway, my solution when using PAD in the future will be to open a case whenever the payment is going to be processed and my purchase has not arrived. I feel it is a valid case, my item has not arrived, particularly when pay after delivery is the payment method I used, I mean its right there in the name. It may result in Paypal removing the feature, which is fine too. I do love the flexibility of PAD, but if its not even an accurate service, then why have it, or why call it something it is not.  I used to be very diligent in using the 'pay for purchase now" once something arrived and the charge was still pending, but admittedly I forget most of the time now - and that option was either moved or removed so its not as easy to find anymore.

To summarize my long-winded rant - move it back to 14 or find some way to actually have the option work as intended.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@trippledigitss

No seller would send an item before being paid, PAD is between you and Paypal and not you and the seller.

It gives you no more buyer protection it is just a short term loan.

The seller is credited the funds by paypal and sends the item > paypal takes the payment from your bank account 10 days later in which time your item 'should' have arrived.

However the funds are still taken on day 10 even if the item is still on the way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

trippledigitss
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I understand that, I have no questions or misunderstandings on how it works. And as a PP user for the last 16+ years I am very familiar and impressed with the buyer protection as well. Paypal has never failed me in that regard.

WIth PAD, I know a retailer is paid immediately but the payment is not deducted for 10 days - supposedly "after delivery". So if the service is titled, and its intent is "pay after delivery" - it is not accurate to 'pay before delivery' is it? If you open a dispute the funds are not withdrawn until its resolved. That could simply be a PP rep reviewing the case and denying your claim and subsequently process the payment. But regardless, my opinion is that if something is advertised with a certain intent, it should meet that intent. It may meet it a large percentage of the time but lately, that percentage has fallen. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@trippledigitss

I agree, its a very misleading and daft name and makes folks think that they get more protection.

I think it was introduced to encourage buyers using their bank accounts to fund paypal payments and not their credit cards thus saving paypal the problem of chargebacks.........i always use a c.c.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

BlackManta
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it's all completely pointless now, go ahead and archive this one. No more Pay After Delivery. It was what's the word? Sensible? Practical? Rational? Whatever the word is it was that while it lasted. 

Login to Me Too

vincejrs
Contributor
Contributor
It's dead now I got this email today As we continue to evolve and improve your PayPal experience we've decided to remove the Pay After Delivery payment method. After April 18, 2018, this will no longer be a choice when you check out with PayPal. If you've made a Pay After Delivery purchase that is scheduled to be billed after April 18, 2018, we'll still complete the transaction as scheduled (10 days after purchase for domestic transactions and 14 days after purchase for international transactions). It was nice while it lasted.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vincejrs

Excellent because I think its misleading. However its not dead everywhere, only in the U.S.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

trippledigitss
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I agree, I get the idea, but it is misleading in the limited situations where the item hasnt arrived yet the payment goes through. There are ways to tweak it, if the intent is to hold payment until delivery - like a 'hold payment' option or something. But obviously, it doesnt matter anymore. Which I do think its unfortunate because I thought it was an excellent feature and I think it increased my purchasing quite a bit - I dont have any real facts to check - but I would guess maybe even by 50%? I definitely know I am much more likely to buy something when know I am not paying for it immediately, whereas if the money is coming out right now I will probably think 'nah, I dont really need it that bad...'

I am curious why they nixed it though, I seriously doubt its from complaints about the reductions to 10 days for domestic purchases. And I dont think its to 'improve my PP experience'... hahaha. I think its probably due to one or two reasons; A) too many 'defaults' where people 'float' the payment (like the old days with checks) and then cant cover their purchases; or B) The cost for loaning that money to everyone for up to 14 days was too expensive? I dont know, those are just my guess and are probably way off base....

Either way I think its a bummer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.