Paypal Working Capital --- Online Application Not Working

BBFYM
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else having a problem with the Paypal Working Capital online application not working.  I have filled out the form completely only to click the "View my offer" button to be told that I need to fill out the form completely.  I am completely dumbfounded by this as I am an IT person by profession and Paypal won't return any of my requests for help with this issue.

Login to Me Too
238 REPLIES 238

LBar
Contributor
Contributor
Hi @carolinahorse, I regret if my post put you on the defensive. I didn't mean to sound at all preachy.... I've just read several threads of this nature where people were trying to connect the dots on loan rejections... Maybe it's this... Maybe it's that... ... and was trying to give a recent snapshot of an acceptance to help people further connect the dots. I agree that it's quite puzzling and I wish there were Real! Live! People! that we could talk to for guidance. In the meantime, here's hoping you get that loan ASAP!
Login to Me Too

carolinahorse
Contributor
Contributor
Hey there LBar - no not at all! 🙂 I think that everyone posting what their circumstances are can only help as we all try to figure out what is going on for each of us! I agree - with each post we can try to connect the dots, learn, and maybe figure this out! 🙂 I am frustrated and I don't mean for my frustration to come across (pitfalls of the written word) My frustration lies with PayPal and the inability to make sense of all of this, not with reading the experience others have had. I very much appreciate when people take the time to post and share with the rest of us. Very very happy to read that yours went well!
Login to Me Too

2010sinclair
Contributor
Contributor
Well you right people and do file for anything . And when they do answer the case respond in timely fashion . Ask for pictures Some buyers be lying and damaging things to get discount. If you have a hand full in a month that might be a issue and paypal could consider you a liabilty. Thank of you lending will you lend you money if you having issues and too many .
Login to Me Too

carolinahorse
Contributor
Contributor
A handful in a month, sure I could see an issue. A handful in 2 years, not so much. I believe 4 since January and, without looking at the exact amount and being generous, we're talking $1000 worth out of $400,000 in processing, none decided in buyers favor.
Login to Me Too

emorel98
Contributor
Contributor

I posted this in another thread about a specific error code but reposting here, hope people find it helpful:

Here is my experience, its a bit longwinded so bear with me. In a nutshell, I both got a loan and got declined for a loan.

I took out two working capital loans from my paypal business account, paid one off early, took a second larger one out, paid that off early (both loans paid off with a lump sum payment) and declined for a third loan 2 months ago.  Code was 646 at first, which is the supposed "fluctuation in sales" code.  My business typically slows done in the summer. It just so happens though that I got a strong pick up in business over the last two months though so I kept reapplying. Then the code turned to the 700s, which is supposed to be that you have another loan with them. I do have a personal paypal account, from many years ago when I used to just sell on ebay. I had taken a working capital loan out over a year ago and had a balance. I did a few sales on ebay and then paid off that loan with a lump sum (day 389).  I then reapplied for a working capital loan on the business account. Declined, code is 650 (fluctuation). That account has had pretty steady sales over a year, maybe a month in that period that was 20-25% less then the other months.  I applied for a working capital loan from my personal account (the day after paying it off). Got approved. Higher repayment rate (30%) but the same amount as the last loan.  This is an account where I liquidate the occasional left over inventory from my business. I'll sell a bunch of stuff one month, then not sell anything for 2-3 months. That is fluctuation.  But they gave me a loan in that account.

My take on all this is that paypal is going through growing pains/preparing expansion of the working capital product. The computer algorithm is just spewing off codes that in many cases don't make sense. This isn't some "glitch" that all of a sudden in the last 6-8 months has started popping up that they can't figure out.  I think they are just not making a lot of loans right now, and probably very few big dollar loans. I think they will either be rolling out another higher margin product, as working capital right now is very cheap to the borrower or they are working on getting more financing, reworking the fee structure and reworking the software.   They recently purchased another working capital lending firm, Swift Financial, in order to "bolster their small business loan underwriting capabilities". In a story about the transaction is the following:

"In a memo to PayPal staff, Esch said his company last winter had worked with Swift Financial to build and test a new service, PayPal Business Loan, and was "impressed with their ability to deliver on an unmet need" for mid-market-sized customers larger than current PayPal borrowers. "It quickly became clear that combining our complementary capabilities and people will allow us to accelerate" and fill what he calls a "funding gap" for business cash."

Paypal has lent $3bln through working capital, Swift has lent $1.5bln but their loans tend to be larger then paypal's and then there is also this nugget:

"Swift makes "cash advance" loans and arranges their repayment from borrowers' revenues, at rates similar to credit card rates, which are higher than typical bank business loans. For larger loans, it offers "same-day answer" and next-day cash through bank loans arranged via Celtic Bank of Utah. Compared to bank loans, "it's like Fed Ex vs. the post office" -- you may pay more for quicker service, Harycki said."

So my expectation is to expect laons to start becoming available towards the end of the year (that is when Swift will be integrated into Paypal), probably larger than what you have been offered previously, at probably 2-3x the cost of previous loans.

Login to Me Too

rt2013
Contributor
Contributor
Excellent post, it's quite clear that something has been going on with working capital and perhaps they are looking to make a significant change to it - I just think that change is going to be larger loans for larger customers. I don't need a 100k loan and wouldn't even consider it - there are a lot of guys out there who need 20k or less.
Login to Me Too

paradestores
Contributor
Contributor

There is really no logic to it.

Paid off an advance a few weeks ago. Looked to see if I could get another and was approved but I decided to hold off for a few more weeks until we had decided if we was going to proceed with some ideas we have.

Sales still strong. Gone back today nope declined.

Getting a promo screen when I login to re-apply is quite laughable. 

Would love to know why but the info given is so little.

Login to Me Too

leskfish
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever have any luck after applying again? 

Login to Me Too

jfh747
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update on this thread... I had 2 successful  applications (10K and 20K British Pounds). When finishing the payment of the second one I applied again and was rejected (as indicated in previous posts) code 640. I applied several times again after talking to Paypal and following the recommendation to go on applying. Nothing happened... always the same denial. Suddenly a few days ago when logging in Paypal I saw a banner on top indicating that I was pre-approved for Working Capital. I thought it was an ad, but gave a try and was offered 35K British Pounds (circa 50K $). Filled out the application and got the loan in few minutes.  Lessons learned: i) My revenue is seasonal, and probably I was rejected due to a non continuos revenue; in the last few months sales were performed on a more continuos basis. ii) Last year I have several cases of people that were charged twice due to clicking two times or hitting back and trying again; in those cases I have always refund immediately; now, instead of refunding I wire the duplicated amount since I think refunds is not good in the working capital algorithm. iii) in the past I had some chargebacks and lost most of them; since in my cases chargebacks are always the buyers' fault, now I email the buyer and ask kindly to withdraw r¡the chargeback. 

These three issues are the only things that I think may have changed as compared to past situation when being denied. Or... O might be wrong and none of them has to do with the fact that I was now approved for a larger loan after giving up and without applying again in several moths.

Just wanted to share this experience.

All best.

J.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.