Paypal Needs a Nickname Function; My Open Letter To PayPal

AceWinters
Contributor
Contributor
Dear PayPal,
The fact that your service does not provide a nickname function is quite frankly absurd. With the countless number of people that your company no doubt employs, it is impossible to imagine that not a single one of them said something along the lines of; "We should really have this function, not only to make an immeasurable amount of convenience available to our customers, but to add to the overall security of our service." If the concern that you have about adding such a function is centered around the possible detriment to your credibility if PayPal users were running around with usernames such as 'ShArKbOi69' or 'xXkittygirl9000Xx' then you could always limit the type of username available to restrict use of the function to people who go by names that are different than their given legal names. 
It is an outrage that any user of your service should have to explain their use of an alias or nickname every time they use a product such as PayPal.me, or have to look at a name they hate and/or do not identify with every time they use your service. You might be saying to yourselves "Well if you and our other customers hate your names so much, why don't you change them legally and be done with all of this hassle?" to which I respond, well PayPal, not everyone can afford to do such things on a whim, or even on a resolute and permanent decision. Legal name changes are expensive PayPal, and the majority of people in this country simply do not have several hundred dollars on hand to spend on something that ultimately amounts to nothing more than pieces of paper and plastic that have slightly differently shaped ink symbols printed on them than the ones they had previously. No PayPal, no matter how satisfying those differently shaped ink symbols feel when we see them, working class Americans have bills to pay, mouths to feed, and simply no spare cash on hand to spend on such frivolities. In fact, this lack of financial excess leads us to require the use of services such as yours, so that we can rest easy knowing that what financial resources we do have are safe and protected.
The struggles of the average American may escape the sight of a multinational company such as yourself, but when a company who supposedly has our best interests in mind won't even provide us with this simple feature, it is a slap in the face of every single one of your customers, regardless of wealth, class, or nationality. Countless other companies or businesses that offer any type of account have some variation of this function, and it is a shameful oversight that PayPal is so behind the curve on a function that is so necessary and commonplace in twenty-first century life. The only question now is why haven't you fixed this problem yet?
The ball is in your court PayPal, it's all up to you.

Sincerely, A Concerned Customer.
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.